n.a., (1911). Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 46. Edinburgh: Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. https://doi.org/10.5284/1000184.

The title of the publication or report
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 46
The series the publication or report is included in
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Volume number and part
The number of pages in the publication or report
Number of Pages:
Any files associated with the publication or report that can be downloaded from the ADS
The DOI (digital object identifier) for the publication or report.
Publication Type
Publication Type
The type of publication - report, monograph, journal article or chapter from a book
Publication Type:
The publisher of the publication or report
Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Year of Publication
Year of Publication
The year the book, article or report was published
Year of Publication:
Where the record has come from or which dataset it was orginally included in.
ADS Archive
Related resources
Related resources
Other resources which are relavant to this publication or report
Created Date
Created Date
The date the record of the pubication was first entered
Created Date:
10 Nov 2013
Article Title Sort Order Both Arrows Access Type Author / Editor Page
Start/End Sort Order Up Arrow
1 - 9
10 - 14
Dorothea M A Bate
15 - 26
Excavation of an oval mound close to Trewitt Hall near Rothbury revealed a roughly made central cist containing only a Beaker vessel. The western cist contained charcoal, worked flint, a pottery sherd and a poorly preserved subadult inhumation. The eastern cist contained charcoal and a few fragments of unburnt bone.
Alfred C Jonas
27 - 52
A discussion of the derivation of the name Fenwick is followed by a transcript of selected parish records.
P M C Kermode
53 - 76
A description of seventeen newly discovered cross-slabs is provided. There are seven with incised linear crosses and seven with incised outline crosses. A broken slab from the parish of Bride, has on one face a carefully chiselled Celtic cross, the limbs connected by a circular ring, and the whole contained within a rectangular panel. It is inscribed by what look like Latinised forms of Celtic men's names. A single piece is of much later date and Scandinavian in character, and dating probably from the twelfth century.
Alexander O Curle
77 - 89
Before excavation the main features of the structure could be made out, consisting of a circular enclosure like a hut circle, with a curved oblong chamber adjoining, within which there protruded, from a mass of huge stones thickly covered with moss and grass, five upright pillars, three along one side, and two on the other, while a sixth lay displaced towards the inner end. Artefacts included a rotary quern, a saddle quern, a fragment of slag, a few animal bones and some charcoal.
Elizabeth Stout
94 - 132
Standing stones, or the remains of them, are to be found in almost every parish. The majority are roughly fashioned into a sort of slab, although some of them exhibit no distinct formation of this kind. Their number is uncertain and they occur on hills and in valleys. Descriptions and sketches of a number of individual stones are provided along with some local traditions linked to them. There are approximately eighty brochs in Shetland, a small number of which have been excavated. The morphological characteristics of a selection of brochs are described and illustrated.
John M Davidson
133 - 139
There is only one church dedicated to him under his own proper name though there are many others dedicated to him under the name of St Mungo. The church of St Kentigern lies immediately to the south-east of Lanark. it was dedicated to the monastery of Dryburgh by a charter of King David I granted between the years 1150 and 1153. An account of various donations to the parish church is given along with a description of the ruins. The church bell was removed to the town steeple when St Kentigern's Church was disused for public worship.
Alan Reid
139 - 150
During refurbishment the south-east doorway (or Priest's door) was revealed. Notable memorials include the large flat tombstone commemorating Alexander Craufurd, vicar of Tranent. Several slabs of later date, and rich in symbolic devices, have also\r\nbeen uncovered and include the elaborate table tomb of the Scott family.
Harry R G Inglis
151 - 177
Bridge-building is a fairly modern development, for of the 1400 important road bridges in Scotland at the present time, something like 1000 have been built since 1745, while only about 200 were constructed between 1630 and 1745; and to go back to about 1630, there were then only about 220 fair-sized bridges in the whole of Scotland. Of the 220 bridges existing in Scotland in 1630, only about 67 are left in one form or another, none in their original state; all the others have been washed away or entirely rebuilt. An account of surviving Roman and mediaeval bridges in Europe is provided. There are no surviving Roman bridges in Scotland. The survey of Scottish bridges divides them into chronological periods which reflect the different manner in which money was raised to build them.
Alexander O Curle
183 - 188
The broch is located on a round rocky prominence and survives to a height of only two and a half feet. The guard chamber survives on the right side of the entrance but does not survive on the left. The division of the guard-chamber into two\r\ncompartments is a peculiar feature, also the facing of its walls with slabs. The wall has been largely removed and it was not possible to determine the position of the stairway. There was no evidence of lengthy occupation and artefacts included some pottery, the upper stone of a rotary quern, a lump of iron, charcoal and burnt bone.
Alexander O Curle
189 - 200
A variety of objects were recovered including much wood charcoal, a few particles of calcined bone, a quantity of burnt or compressed clay and light slag or cinders, iron nails with a rhomboidal head at one end and a round nut hammered on at the other, fine red ware pottery and an iron padlock of well known medieval type. In addition to that found at Ingleston there are five specimens in the National Museum, none of which have hitherto been described or illustrated. Two may have come from a broch, one from an earth-house, one from a crannog and one is unprovenanced. The type discovered at Ingleston seems to have had a lengthy period of use.
George Macdonald
200 - 201
A total of 532 coins were recovered during ploughing. They include Scottish, Irish and English coins along with foreign sterling from a variety of different mints.
Fred T Macleod)
202 - 212
The article describes standing stones, tumuli, the broch at Dunvegan, a well, medieval grave slabs and post-medieval chapels
David MacRitchie
213 - 241
The Aberdeen 'kayak' has much in common with an example preserved at Edinburgh. At the present day, the kayak is in use over a great extent of the Arctic regions, from East Greenland westward across Arctic America, and along some 800 miles of the Asiatic coast, both westward and south-westward from Bering Straits. The Aberdeen example is made of four seal skins stretched over a slender framework of wood. With the kayak are a paddle, a spear, a bird-spear, a throwing-stick, and a harpoon. All are made of redwood with bone and ivory mountings. Traditionally the kayak is thought to have been recovered some time between 1690 and 1710.
Robert Scott-Moncrieff
247 - 257
The historic relationship between surgeons and barbers is considered. The article corrects a previously published inference that the Court of Session in 1722 had decided that barbers had never been full members of the Corporation under the Seal of Cause, as they had not been required to pass the examinations laid down in that document, but had merely been dependent on the surgeons. In fact the Court had signified their opinion that the barbers admitted to the Society prior to 1648 were entitled to the same privileges as the surgeons. In the pleadings before the\r\nCourt of Session the two following reasons for the connection were given: that both callings made use of sharp implements, and that shaving was a necessary and preliminary operation to either bleeding or dressing of head wounds, and that in consequence a surgeon had either to be able to shave or had to call in a barber.
John M Corrie
258 - 263
In the garden grounds in front of Hastings Hall, Moniaive, Dumfriesshire, there stands the shaft of an Early Christian Cross. Its original location is unknown. A second stone in a nearby garden may originally have been associated.
C G Cash
264 - 285
A number of cup-marked rocks are described and illustrated. The account also features standing stones, burial grounds and oddities such as St Filan's curing stones and Fingal's grave which is marked be a standing stone.
James Ritchie
285 - 326
An account is given of the activities of the resurrectionists, the prevailing attitudes towards them and some of the measures taken to prevent the theft of corpses. A number of surviving or recently demolished watch-houses, mortsafes and public vaults and some of the legends attached to them are described. Watch-houses were shelters used overnight by those guarding newly dug graves. The simplest form of mortsafe was a heavy stone placed on top of a coffin. A more effective form of mortsafe was a coffin-shaped stone with iron lattice-work to a depth of about 18 inches all round it on the lower side, which effectually prevented interference with the coffin. In addition, strong vaults were built in some of the churchyards, where the coffins could be stored until it would be safe to lay them in their final resting-place in the churchyard. The regulations for the management of a vault at Udny are reproduced. The watch-houses, mortsafes and vaults gradually fell out of use after the passing of the Anatomy Act in 1832.
J G Callander
344 - 348
A short cist containing a beaker urn, and the skeletal remains of a man of about middle age lying on the right side and facing the south, was discovered along with a second cist containing only a beaker. A third cist contained two beakers which is uncommon.
D Hay Fleming
348 - 356
The button is made of iron and ivory which has been engraved and inlaid with gold wire. It has a central circle with a five cusped opening into which a cinque-foil has been inserted. It may have belonged to Archbishop Hamilton, who rebuilt St Andrews Castle, and was hanged at Stirling on the 7th of April 1571. A broken and incomplete pirlie pig (or money box) dates to the reign of James VI. A second example contained eight gold and one hundred and fifty silver coins. An oval beggar's badge of 1801 bears the figure of St Andrew holding his cross out in front of him. Possession of such a badge ensured that the beggar would be given alms.
A D Cumming
357 - 364
The castle is built on an island which is thought to be artificial. It was probably originally a crannog which later became the stronghold of the Comyns. Edward I stayed there whilst fighting against the Scots. The castle bears a strong resemblance to the mediaeval military fortresses in England and Wales and may have had extensive additions made under the orders of Edward, between the close of 1303 and the beginning of 1306. Its history is in many ways unique. So far as is known it never sheltered a ruling sovereign of Scotland, although members of the Royal house were its repeated possessors.
Francis C Eeles
365 - 367
Dedicated in the name of St Michael, it was in mediaeval times the prebendal church of the Chancellor of the Chapter of Aberdeen Cathedral. The present building was erected in 1779, and there are no remains of the old church. A sculptured grave slab is built into the south wall of the present church. The carving may be described as partly incised with rough broad lines, partly in relief; it represents a sword by the side of a small cross with another similar cross in an inverted position at the other end of the slab. The fact that the crosses face opposite ways, suggests that the slab was recumbent.
Mungo Buchanan
367 - 369
A pair of quern stones in splendid condition were found together in the roots of an oak tree which had been blown down during a recent gale. They are made of puddingstone and comprise the upper and lower stones of a rotary quern.
James Sharp
370 - 372
The collection consists of 17 lop-sided arrowheads of black flint; 16 worked triangular flakes which may be intended for arrowheads; a large triangular spearhead; 4 arrowheads with barbs and stem; 3 leaf-shaped arrowheads; 14 scrapers; 2 large side-scrapers; 3 whorls; 1 polished hammer, broken across at the middle; 1 globular hammer-stone, and a number of flakes of flint of no definite character.\r\nThey were entirely found on the farm of Overhowden, with the exception of one small leaf-shaped arrowhead, which was found near Heriot, and an arrowhead of American origin.
R S Mylne
379 - 388
The Netherbow was an important boundary throughout the Middle Ages. Above was the ancient town of Edinburgh; below, the Canongate, under the jurisdiction of the Abbot of Holyrood and his bailies. The position of this gate was originally fixed by the line of the ancient fortified wall of the town, traces of which still exist. Many events connected with the history of Edinburgh occurred at the Netherbow and these are recounted. Great works were carried out at the Netherbow in 1571 for purposes of defence, and a substantial portion of this extensive gateway was most likely erected in that year, but part must be earlier than that date, and probably belongs to the prosperous and peaceful reign of James V.
Alan Reid
389 - 423
Standing stones and cross slabs are among the antiquities described from Pitlochry. Grave stones at Moulin, Temple and Clerkington are noteworthy because many display symbols which can be linked to the occupation of the deceased.
William Douglas
424 - 435
It is traditionally believed that there was a nunnery on the island but there is no evidence to support this assertion. Within the churchyard there are no legible inscriptions on any of the gravestones. There is a large flat tomb which commemorates the Campbell family. The heraldic shield is supported by two warriors, and surmounted by a diadem. An erect cross-slab carved on front and back survives.
Thomas Wallace
436 - 442
The churchyard at Logie has many gravestones dating to the seventeenth century with an unusual number and variety of symbols. One stone of 1748 mentions the purchase of the plot in 1498. Slightly later stone with lengthier inscriptions survive at Lecropt. An impression of two feet in shoes was found in an old dyke near Amulree. Similar impressions are quite common in Scotland and Ireland where it was customary for the new chief to plant his foot in impressions such as these, indicating that he was prepared to walk in the footsteps of his predecessor and to rule with justice and equity.
Percy W Laider
443 - 445
A brief account of a variety of implements recovered from South Africa includes chisels, hatchets and scrapers.
Fred T Macleod)
This paper is postponed to the next volume of the Proceedings on account of the illustrations.
G H Stevenson
S N Miller
446 - 483
The fort is located on the line of Dere Street. The internal measurement from north to south was 80 yards, and from east to west 70 yards. This gives an area of about one and a quarter acres, while an almost equal space is covered by the defences. Cappuck is thus considerably smaller than most of the Roman forts hitherto excavated in Britain. A great deal of plough damage has occurred. The whole fort had been surrounded by a clay rampart, resting in part on a layer of cobble-stones, although the defences on the east side seem to have been more complex. Cappuck is distinguished from the other Roman forts in Scotland by the possession of only one gate. The buildings of the interior are described and a detailed report on the artefacts is presented. The datable objects found on the site show that the fort was Agricolan in origin.
485 - 503