n.a., (1915). Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 50. Edinburgh: Society of Antiquaries of Scotland.

The title of the publication or report
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 50
The sub title of the publication or report
5th series vol II
The series the publication or report is included in
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Volume number and part
The number of pages in the publication or report
Number of Pages:
Any files associated with the publication or report that can be downloaded from the ADS
The DOI (digital object identifier) for the publication or report.
Publication Type
Publication Type
The type of publication - report, monograph, journal article or chapter from a book
Publication Type:
The publisher of the publication or report
Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Year of Publication
Year of Publication
The year the book, article or report was published
Year of Publication:
Identifiers associated with the publication. These might include DOIs, site codes, Monument Identifiers etc.
BIAB abstract no: 5th
Where the record has come from or which dataset it was orginally included in.
ADS Archive
Created Date
Created Date
The date the record of the pubication was first entered
Created Date:
08 Dec 2008
Article Title Sort Order Both Arrows Access Type Author / Editor Page
Start/End Sort Order Up Arrow
1 - 18
Harry R G Inglis
18 - 49
The investigation of early roads is hampered by the absence of early road maps, as the first of any real service were those of Adair, issued as late as 1680. At an earlier date information derives from travellers narratives and early documents, which identify their existence without specifying their position. The making of new roads in the last few hundred years has in many instances led to these old routes being abandoned. The article considers early maps and documentary references going back to the Roman period, the first surveys of Scotland, the military survey of Scotland, evidence for old population centres, Roman roads, the roads from Berwick, Kelso, Jedburgh, Hawick and Selkirk, Peeble, Biggar, Lanark, Hamilton and Glasgow in addition to the roads going out of Edinburgh.
P M C Kermode
50 - 62
A report on the discovery of nine more pieces, including two very small and imperfect fragments, making a total of twenty-six brought to light since the publication of Manx Crosses in 1907. Each is described and illustrated in detail. A late cross with runic inscriptions, a Viking ship and part of a Celtic cross is particularly noteworthy.
Alexander O Curle
James Edward Cree
James Ritchie
64 - 144
The area enclosed within the main line of fortification amounts to about 32 acres and over at least a considerable portion of the hill there were four distinct periods of inhabitation during the Iron Age. It is suggested that the presence of a few Neolithic and Bronze Age artefacts but no pottery precludes occupation in those periods. The earliest Iron Age phase appears to to be the longest period of occupation. Finds include coins and large quantities of Roman pottery although a military presence is considered unlikely as the great majority of other artefacts are native in origin and there is no regular arrangement of buildings.
J G Callander
145 - 151
No record of the discovery of any sepulchral deposit within the cairn seems to have survived and the precise location of the cups is unclear. A circular cup of steatite or soapstone is decorated while a second is made of diorite and has the appearance of a ladle. The third cup was not available for examination. It is argued that the evidence for a Bronze Age date is inconclusive and the cups are more likely to be Iron Age in date. A short cist contained a fragmentary Beaker vessel and some charcoal. No human bone survived.
W T Oldrieve
155 - 172
The cathedral is one of only two in Scotland with a surviving ancient timber roof. The work was necessary in order to prevent a total collapse of the building. There is no evidence that stone vaulting was originally contemplated for roofing. The poor condition of many of the surviving timbers meant that they could not safely be retained. Hidden steel was used to reinforce the roof. The weight of the roof was reduced considerably by the substitution of copper sheeting for lead or slate. Ancient oak was also re-used where possible.
W K Dickson
173 - 181
The manuscript is a Flemish Horaa or Book of Hours, written and illuminated in the latter part of the fifteenth century. It belonged for some generations to a French family named Dupuy. These are intended for the use of the laity in private devotion. This example contains the calendar, lessons from the Gospels, the two prayers to the Virgin, hours of Roman use, penitential psalms and litany, office of the dead and memorials of various saints. The main interest of the book is ten beautiful miniatures of various sacred subjects many of which are described and illustrated in detail.
D J Macleod
W J Gibson
James Curle
181 - 189
The objects were found along with human bones by school children in a small sand mound. They comprised a pair of single-scaled brass oval brooches, eleven links of a brass chain, probably the connecting chain of the oval brooches, a circular ornament of bronze, a bronze strap, a penannular brooch of bronze of Celtic type, a buckle and belt-mounting of bronze, a fusiform bead of amber, a possible iron knife and portions of an iron socketed spearhead. The find is unusual as it combines Celtic and Scandinavian influences.
James Balfour Paul
191 - 201
Artillery in the widest sense of the word, that is, offensive projectiles, is coeval with the beginnings of man but artillery in the modern sense of the word was not possible till after the invention of gunpowder. The practical application of gunpowder as an explosive force capable of expelling a projectile from some chamber or receptacle did not take place till long after the discovery of the substance itself. Flanders became the seat of the new industry of gun manufacture in the later medieval period. Mons Meg which is housed at Edinburgh Castle is a good example of the type of gun being made.
J G Callander
201 - 240
A group of seven Bronze Age short cist burials was discovered over a period of several months during quarrying. One of the cists contained a Food Vessel lying on its side, a very decayed skeleton and a necklace made of jet. It comprised seven plates and one hundred and seven beads. This is the third necklace to be recovered from the area. The position of the components within the cist has enabled a reconstruction. A detailed discussion of Bronze Age jet ornaments is presented along with a comprehensive list of all the examples from Scotland. Scottish jet necklaces fall into two broad groups, one composed of a single string of beads, and the other of a more elaborate arrangement of plates and beads, forming a crescentic pattern worked out on regular lines.
Alexander O Curle
241 - 254
Descriptions of the broch survive from the eighteenth century when it was in a far less ruinous state. The broch survives in part to a height of 33 feet with seventeen steps leading to the upper galleries of which parts of five survive. A guard chamber and outbuildings also survive. Artefacts include three stone cups, nine pottery sherds and five whorls.
Robert Scott-Moncrieff
257 - 266
The article considers when whisky or its lineal ancestor became a common drink in Scotland. There is evidence to suggest that a grain distilled spirit of some sort was in fairly common use in the northern part of Europe by the end of the fifteenth century, and in Ireland by the beginning of the sixteenth century. However there is no evidence to support the belief that that such a spirit might also have been in common use in Scotland by 1500 although documentary references do appear in the Exchequer Rolls for 1494-95 to a malt distilled liquor. The term whisky appears to originate in the later sixteenth century.
John A Inglis
267 - 274
The identification of the individual arose from the discovery of a document in the\r\nRegister House, Edinburgh which was signed by " Alexander Monro of Auchinbowie and\r\nCaptain George Monro of Brigadier Otway's Regiment of Foot, his brother-german." It is known that Otway's Regiment, the 35th Foot, now the Royal Sussex, formed the nucleus of the garrison at Fort William Henry, and Captain Monro's record of service in the manuscript Army List for 1752 shows that he is the Colonel Monro who was given the command of the regiment in 1750. An account of his life is presented along with a description of the fighting which is one of the best known incidents in American history.
George Macdonald
275 - 278
A hoard of twenty eight very worn silver coins were discovered by workmen in the Eastern Lammermuirs. The majority could not be identified, however, there were a few coins of William III and George II. A second hoard found near Banff consisted of 215 silver and 172 bronze coins originally contained in a gin bottle. Many of these were also unidentifiable and it is argued both hoards reflect the poor state of Scotland's currency at the time.
James Ritchie
279 - 287
The symbols inscribed on the Rayne stone are the Mirror Case, the Double Crescent, and a Rectangle with rod attached, of which no previous example has been found on any of the Scottish sculptured stones. The diorite stone at Culsalmond has a small plain incised cross formed of two lines crossing each other at right angles near the centre.
Alexander Hutcheson
288 - 302
The inscribed stone was discovered during grave digging in the old churchyard at Weem. The incised inscription is in two lines, separated from each other by a wide interval. The article attempts to interpret the inscription which is difficult to read and probably incomplete as a portion of the undressed stone has recently broken off. The inscription remains undated and undecipherable although a variety of possibilities are considered. The Perthshire place-name of Weem is believed to be derived from the Gaelic word uaim, a cave, there being in the face of the steep precipitous hill known as Weem Rock a cave, or rather there are two caves, one of\r\nthem traditionally having a connection with St Cuthbert. The connection of Cuthbert with Weem rests solely on the Irish Life of that saint.
Alexander O Curle
Thomas H Bryce
302 - 306
The urn had been placed in an inverted position over a heap of human bones only\r\npartially incinerated. These represent two adult individuals. The chisel appears never to have been completed for use. Both the bead and pin had been burnt. The pin is an unusual type. The axe is unusual for its herring-bone ornamentation which has been incised on it around the socket.
John M Corrie
307 - 313
Flakes and spalls are, as might perhaps have been expected, the most numerous relics. They exhibit considerable variation as regards size, material, and flaking, and a good many of them, as indicated by their blunted edges, appear to have been used as knives or scrapers without further chipping. The material is mostly flint, chert, or quartz, but it includes also one or two interesting examples of pitchstone. The main focus of the article is on those artefacts described as pigmy flints which are are remarkable and delicately manufactured implements of crescent, triangular, pointed, and rhomboidal form.
John Nicolson
314 - 316
Four rectangular stone structures are surrounded by a roughly circular stone wall. The structures have passageways leading into them and internal features including hearths and possible benches or beds. A few small fragments of wheel-thrown pottery and limpet shells were found.
George MacDonald
317 - 359
Earlier historical accounts of Raedykes are considered and accompanying illustrations reproduced including the work of Roy. These accounts demonstrate extraordinary differences between the various estimates that were formed regarding the superficial area of Raedykes. Small-scale excavation revealed that the engineers who constructed the camp had made use of two well-marked types of ditch and rampart,\r\nthe choice of type for each particular section being obviously determined by the nature of the ground that happened to lie immediately in front. The outline of the camp as a whole is described as quadrilateral and the writer attempts to explain the differences in area estimates. Antiquarian accounts of Glenmailen are also considered and a report on exploration of the ditch and rampart is presented along with a plan of the camp which is firmly identified as Roman.
360 - 384