n.a., (1916). Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 51. Edinburgh: Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. https://doi.org/10.5284/1000284.

The title of the publication or report
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 51
The series the publication or report is included in
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Volume number and part
The number of pages in the publication or report
Number of Pages:
Any files associated with the publication or report that can be downloaded from the ADS
The DOI (digital object identifier) for the publication or report.
Publication Type
Publication Type
The type of publication - report, monograph, journal article or chapter from a book
Publication Type:
The publisher of the publication or report
Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Year of Publication
Year of Publication
The year the book, article or report was published
Year of Publication:
Where the record has come from or which dataset it was orginally included in.
ADS Archive
Related resources
Related resources
Other resources which are relevant to this publication or report
Created Date
Created Date
The date the record of the pubication was first entered
Created Date:
16 Oct 2013
Article Title Sort Order Both Arrows Access Type Author / Editor Page
Start/End Sort Order Up Arrow
1 - 15
J M Hanna
16 - 23
The embalmed heart of a Platagenet king is preserved in a lead casket. It came from the old Abbey of Fontevrault, near Saumur. There were six members of the Plantagenet line buried in the so-called Cemetery of the English Kings at Fontevrault. They were Henry II, Richard Coeur de Lion, Jeanne (or Johanna) of England, sister of Richard, and wife of Raymond VI, Eleanor of Aquitaine, widow of Henry II, Isabella of Angouleme, widow of John (Lackland), Raymond VII of Toulouse, son of Jeanne of England and of Raymond VI. The heart is traditionally believed to be that of Henry II although there is evidence to suggest that it may be the heart of Henry III.
J G A Baird
Thomas H Bryce
24 - 25
The urns were found within a cairn. One was badly damaged and empty. The second contained charcoal and cremated human bone. A further deposit of charcoal and cremated human bone lay nearby. The charcoal was identified as birch and oak. The bones have been tentatively identified as an adult female.
R S G Anderson
26 - 29
The cairn is one of a pair and both are much dilapidated. A central cist contained cremated human bone, oak charcoal and a Food Vessel. The age and sex of the human remains could not be determined.
James Ritchie
30 - 47
This article is a supplement to previously published surveys and includes some newly identified examples of stone circles. These are located at Fendraught, Candle Hill, Tomnaverie, Ellon, Potterton, Peathill, Cairnhall and Fularton, Chapel o' Sink, the Sunken Kiek, Nether Coullie, Tombeg, Kimmonity,
Hugh A Fraser
48 - 98
Excavations were carried out over a number of seasons and included the recovery of a dug-out canoe which was serving as an underlying support of a portion of the woodwork in one of the pits. The crannog was a hunting seat of the Earls of Ross during the medieval period. When in 1476 ,the Earldom" of Ross was irrevocably annexed to the Crown, the " management of its rent" was entrusted by the King to the Earl of Sutherland, who transferred the trust to Alexander Mackenzie of Kintail, sixth chief of the Mackenzies. By the nineteenth century it was being used as a kitchen garden. It does not appear to have been a matter of common knowledge that the island was artificial. Structurally the island appears to consist of three main series of layers:, the upper structure of earth, clay, and boulders, with local seams\r\nof peat, charcoal, and burnt clay, the strata represented in the west half of the island by the platforms of timber with the intervening occupation debris, and in\r\nthe east half by the stratified layers of brushwood, clay, peat, and habitation refuse, the mass of organic material at the base of the island. Little direct evidence of the age of the crannog was obtained in course of the investigation. That wood-chips, cut with a sharp iron instrument, exist at the base of the island, is helpful only in a general way. The bones included portions of the skull of a shorthorn ox, which may be the Celtic shorthorn, Bos longifrons.
Gilbert Goudie
100 - 108
Similar stone-built structures are already known in Lewis, Harris, Uist, and Benbecula; and examples have been found on the mainland in Sutherland, Aberdeen, Inverness, Perth,\r\nand Porfarshire, and in Midlothian and other counties. The entrance opened on to a sloping passageway which was five feet in height. It contracted to a width of only 20 inches at one point and the interior beyond was blocked preventing further investigation. Pottery sherds and hammer-stones were the only artefacts.
Robert Scott-Moncrieff
108 - 116
The history of the hangings can be divided into three periods. The first extends from September 1561, when the pieces are inventoried as having belonged to the Queen Regent, Mary of Guise, to 1578, when they are inventoried as having been taken over\r\nfrom the Regent Morton by James VI. The second period extends from the reign of James VI. to 1692, at which date they are believed to have been acquired by Mrs Rachel Sinclair or Hog on behalf of her ward William Hogg. The third and last period covers the time from 1692 to the present day. The scenes depicted deal with the history of the rival monarchs Behoboam and Jeroboam, as related in the bible. It is highly unlikely that there should have been two sets of fine needlework dealing with an unusual subject like that of Rehoboam, and consisting of something like the same number of pieces, that one is driven to the conclusion that they are the hangings mentioned in the inventories.
J G Callander
117 - 127
The flint scatter is located on the Hill of Skares, in the parish of Culsalmond, in the Garioch and measured nine feet in diameter. The point of a leaf-shaped arrow-head, a\r\nscraper, and part of another worked flint flaked all over the surface were\r\nfound along with a handful of flint flakes. Other discoveries in Scotland are considered.
James Curle
130 - 176
The article presents a series of more or less typical examples of decorated sigillata\r\nor samian bowls, and a brief outline of the industry, its beginnings in Italy, and the general trend of its development in Western Europe. Most of the illustrated examples come from Germany.
David MacRitchie
178 - 197
The term " earth-house" is here used as denoting an underground structure almost invariably built of stone, and used as a dwelling. The article relates chiefly to those of Scotland, with an occasional reference to other examples. Reference is made to obstructions deliberately built or placed in the entrance passage, rendering access to the interior difficult. They form an integral part of the original structure, and it is obvious that their purpose is to impede the advance of an\r\nintruder. These are common in Ireland and less so in Scotland. The constriction of passages at certain points ought probably to be regarded also as intended to impose a temporary check to the advance of an intruder. It is argued that the occupants must have been of small stature given the dimensions of many of the structures.
Herbert Eustace Maxwell
199 - 207
When two pillar crosses were discovered being used as gate posts in Kirkmadrine churchyard, reference was made by local inhabitants to a third which had disappeared. Subsequently, a drawing of the third was found and showed that it bore a Chi-Rho monogram, very rare in Scotland. It was finally discovered in the nearby United Free Church Manse of Stoneykirk. It had also been re-used as a gate post.
W K Dickson
208 - 213
The psalter is the earliest example which the library possesses of an illuminated manuscript which is known to have been written in Scotland. The volume contains the Calendar in red and black; the Psalms, the Benedicte omnia opera, Benedictus, Magnificat, and Nunc Dimittis; various prayers; the Athanasian Creed, Litany of Saints, and Vigils of the Dead. It is written in the ordinary book-hand of the fifteenth century, and the decoration is the characteristic floriated work of the\r\nperiod.
Alexander Hutcheson
213 - 231
The document is an early eighteenth century copy of the original will and testament which was written on 12th June 1562. An account of the life of Agnes Betoun is presented along with the contents of the will. A carved oak cabinet reputed to belong to Cardianl Betoun is described in detail. The door of the cabinet is in two leaves, four panels in each leaf and no two panels alike; the panels filled in with tracery. The tracery is an imitation of that usual in stonework in the windows of ecclesiastical buildings. The ancient writs of the lands of Kelly are transcribed in Latin.
James Curle
231 - 233
A fibula and a small spoon came from one of the rubbish pits, and the fibula at least is likely to be of first century date. It is a La Tene type. Other items included a bronze spur with some textile attached and an iron ox-goad.
E D Dennison
234 - 255
The article comprises a catalogue along with an index of places.
255 - 266