n.a., (1918). Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 53. Edinburgh: Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. https://doi.org/10.5284/1000184.

The title of the publication or report
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 53
The series the publication or report is included in
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Volume number and part
The number of pages in the publication or report
Number of Pages:
Any files associated with the publication or report that can be downloaded from the ADS
The DOI (digital object identifier) for the publication or report.
Publication Type
Publication Type
The type of publication - report, monograph, journal article or chapter from a book
Publication Type:
The publisher of the publication or report
Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Year of Publication
Year of Publication
The year the book, article or report was published
Year of Publication:
Where the record has come from or which dataset it was orginally included in.
ADS Archive
Related resources
Related resources
Other resources which are relevant to this publication or report
Created Date
Created Date
The date the record of the pubication was first entered
Created Date:
09 Oct 2013
Article Title Sort Order Both Arrows Access Type Author / Editor Page
Start/End Sort Order Up Arrow
1 - 14
J G Callander
15 - 24
At least four or five short cists and a possible long cist have been discovered in this area. The new discovery contained a poorly preserved crouched skeleton. The cover slab had fallen in and crushed the bronze armlet which is discussed in some detail. An irregular sandstone block with eight cup marks was found nearby.
G A Gardner
24 - 28
Throughout the north-western provinces of the Argentine Republic, there may be seen in the outcrops of rock which occur with frequency in these mountainous regions, numbers of cylindrical or cup-shaped holes. These are generally considered to have been communal or village mortars. The heavy stone pestles employed are sometimes found in them, and the present inhabitants of the districts still use some of the mortars, replacing the ancient stone pestles with wooden ones.
Thomas Ross
30 - 33
These statues, with the accompanying carved stones, were found in August 1909 in the back garden of No. 37 Drummond Place. The two figures, with the stone containing the\r\ncity arms, have been placed within the Old Parliament Hall; while the pediment stone with the open-arched crown surmounted by a cross, and having the date 1636, has been placed over a doorway in the new piazza. The statues had been removed from the Old Parliament Hall in 1824. They are thought to have been sculptured by Alexander Mylne,\r\nwho was born in Perth in 1613.
W D Simpson
34 - 45
The Doune of Invernochty is a very conspicuous mound situated at the confluence of the Nochty water with the Don. The mound is natural in origin but it was surrounded by earthworks and later a medieval castle in stone and lime was built. The remains are still visible. A detailed plan and description of the Doune is presented. It is identified as a mount-and-bailey fortress of Norman construction. The earthworks of the Doune are assigned to some period in the twelfth or early thirteenth century. A persistent tradition bears that the mediaeval church of Invernochty (Strathdon), which about the year 1200 was granted by the Earl of Mar to the Priory of Monymusk and in the fourteenth century became a prebend of St Machar's Cathedral, stood originally on the Doune of Invernochty.
Alexander O Curle
46 - 50
The sherds were found while digging in an extension of the cemetery and consist of a bearded mask, a segment of the base of a large jug, and a portion of the lip of a similar vessel. The mask appears to have been fairly common on pitchers of the fourteenth century. The second piece of pottery, the segment of the base of a large jar, shows a continuous row of impressed thumb-marks around its edge, and by this feature tends to confirm the fourteenth-century date of the pottery mask. The third object is a portion of the lip of a pitcher of a light-red body coated with a thick lead glaze of deep-green colour and may be of 12th or 13 century. The Bass is a mound, in shape a truncated cone, about 50 feet in height, which occupies a strong position on the right bank of the Ury, close to the southern end of the royal burgh of Inverurie and is classified as a mount-and-bailey castle of Norman type.
Robert Scott-Moncrieff
52 - 63
A roup roll contains an inventory of what purports to be the "haill household plenishings" of a middle-class professional man in the person of a Writer to the Signet who lived and died in Edinburgh in the latter half of the seventeenth century. A roup roll contains even more than an ordinary inventory, in that it gives not only a list of belongings but also the prices received for each article and the names of the purchasers. This book also contains minutes of meeting, notes as to balances due to and by his clients, and the annual accounts dealing with the trust\r\nfunds until 28th April 1710. The entire contents of the document are transcribed.
James Ritchie
64 - 75
The circles referred to are in Aberdeenshire: Wester Echt, Balblair, Gask or Springhill, standing stones of Cullerlie, Balnacraig, and Inchbaire, and Corsedardar Stone; in Kincardineshire: Inchmarlo Lodge, Banchory-Ternan, standing stones of\r\nDurris, Tilquhillie, and Rees of Clune, along with Rees of Clune and Sundayswells ring cairns. At Wester Echt there are only three stones left standing; at South Fornet, Nether Corskie, and Gask only two; and at Balblair only a single stone remains. Not a single one of the circles described is intact; many of them consist of only a few stones, and some have entirely disappeared.
Angus Graham
76 - 118
An inventory of the monuments of Skipness which is the east part of the north end of the Kintyre peninsula. The monuments are classified as mediaeval buildings, hillforts, turf huts, burial places, stones and miscellaneous. The turf huts comprise upwards of seventy examples ranging from single buildings to 'villages'. It is argued that they have a lengthy period of use. Some are associated with bloomeries and iron smelting. House platforms are included in the miscellaneous category.
John Smith
123 - 134
Castlehill Fort was unknown prior to excavation. It is located on a summit of isolated rock surrounded by a stone wall. Traces of a probable building were found inside and artefacts included Samian, iron objects, shale, glass and bronze. Altnock Fort was on the summit of a cliff and was defended by a deep ditch and a stone wall. Artefacts included glass, pottery, bone, worked stone and coins. Coalhill Fort, on the ridge of a small hill had double ditches cut into the rock and a stone wall. The only artefacts were of worked stone.
J G Callander
137 - 152
Portions of the fortifications on the two sites mentioned still survive. That the remains are the work of the Romans is no recent discovery, as they have been recognised as such for at least a century and a half. The camp at Grassy Walls was discovered in 1771 by General William Roy, when he was engaged in investigating sites connected with the Romans in Scotland, and the fort at Bertha was described as a " Roman Station " by William Maitland in 1757. Grassy Walls is bordered on the north, west, and south by steep banks, while on the east there is a slight fall in the ground before it begins to rise again towards the hills. When the Romans constructed a camp covering such a large area of ground as at Grassy Walls, we know that it was only a temporary fortification, made to protect an army on the march, and never occupied for very long. Only a single coin has been recovered. The descriptions given of the fort at Bertha by Maitland and Roy disagree and it is argued here that Maitland's description is the more accurate. Artefacts from Bertha include pottery vessels, the remains of a helmet and a spear.
Thomas Reid
153 - 159
The ancient and royal burgh of Lanark in the course of its municipal existence, commencing with the reign of David I, has employed seven different seals. The earliest one extant belongs to the fourteenth century; the second and third have been 'assigned respectively to the fifteenth and sixteenth; the fourth to the seventeenth; both fifth and sixth to the eighteenth; whilst the last is the one now in current use. Each of the seals in described in detail.
Robert Munro
Patrick Gillespie
162 - 167
At the present time the recorded number of these traps amounts to forty-one, and their geographical distribution embraces Carniola, Lombardy, Germany (several localities), Denmark, Wales, and Ireland (three localities). They have been ascribed a variety of functions including musical instruments and models of boats. A stone monument at Clonmacnois, Ireland, shows a stag, apparently trapped in some kind of wooden structure which could be one of the so-called otter or beaver traps.
George MacDonald
168 - 174
An account of the brief history of the society based on the discovery of a manuscript which came to light in the Bodleian Library. There is no minute of the gathering at which the Minor Society was originally constituted, however, when it met on 1st February 1783, it was already in being.
Alexander Ogston
175 - 179
A total of 1947 have been counted in Cromar and it is likely that many more have been overlooked in the extensive tracts of broom and heather. Three distinct types are classified as small, large, and giant cairns. The small cairns are mostly circular in shape, with diameters varying from 10 feet upwards, and are all bun-shaped, with a height of from 1 to 2 feet. It is not uncommon to find three, four, or five of them so placed as to be in a straight line with one another, suggesting that they were intentionally thus arranged. The cairns which we distinguish as large are also circular in shape, are about 4 or 5 feet in height and have a diameter of some 40 feet. They are generally flattened on the top and are never grouped together. The giant cairns form a separate class and have their special\r\npeculiarities. Their diameters are very large, from, say, 70 to 100 feet; the height is also greater, being from 10 to 12 feet; their form is that of a pointed cone, not truncated like the large cairns.
J Storer Clouston
180 - 195
Almost all of the armorials are in stone and they almost all come from the sixteenth or early seventeenth century. They include a number which for many years had been hidden beneath the raised floor of the choir of St Magnus' Cathedral and have only recently come to light. The include the Cragy coat on the ancient font now in Stromness Episcopal Church, and one found beneath the floor of the Birsay Parish Kirk, now built into the wall of the vestibule. All the others come from St Magnus Cathedral'. The impression is that arms-bearing in Orkney was on something like the same basis as in Norway; an arbitrary system under which some landowners were "af vaaben" and others were not; the privilege being originally associated with a certain\r\nposition in the Kings or Earl's "hird," and always having remained the subject of special grant or of some kind of sanction. In Scotland the terms " gentleman" and " freeholder" are used synonymously in old statutes, and each member of this class seems to have been expected, as a matter of obligation as much as of privilege, to have the " seale of his armes " ready for use when required.
G Baldwin Baldwin Brown
195 - 228
A series of small stone monuments found for the most part at Hartlepool in Durham, and commonly known as the Hartlepool Tombstones strongly resemble certain monuments of similar character in Ireland. They are Northumbrian in date and location, although at the time they were made Northumbria included eastern Scotland up to the Forth. A group of nine stones were found at different times in the first half of the 19th century during the disturbance of a burial ground. It is said that the human remains were reburied. The stones have both incised crosses and inscription in runic and Hiberno-Saxon characters. Similar stones have been found at Lindisfarne. The slabs are traditionally linked to to the early monastic settlement of the seventh century based on the orientation of the graves (north-south) and the presence of pillow stones and the early Anglian character of the names with the fact that they are partly in runes. It is argued that they may in fact be later. A detailed survey of the use of the cross in early Christian art is presented.
229 - 239