n.a., (1925). Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 60. Edinburgh: Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. https://doi.org/10.5284/1000184.

The title of the publication or report
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 60
The series the publication or report is included in
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Volume number and part
The number of pages in the publication or report
Number of Pages:
Any files associated with the publication or report that can be downloaded from the ADS
The DOI (digital object identifier) for the publication or report.
Publication Type
Publication Type
The type of publication - report, monograph, journal article or chapter from a book
Publication Type:
The publisher of the publication or report
Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Year of Publication
Year of Publication
The year the book, article or report was published
Year of Publication:
Where the record has come from or which dataset it was orginally included in.
ADS Archive
Related resources
Related resources
Other resources which are relavant to this publication or report
Created Date
Created Date
The date the record of the pubication was first entered
Created Date:
26 Sep 2013
Article Title Sort Order Both Arrows Access Type Author / Editor Page
Start/End Sort Order Up Arrow
1 - 26
John M Corrie
27 - 34
A hoard from Greyfriars Church comprised four axes and two spearheads. Only three axes survive although there are plaster casts of all the objects in the National Museum. An axe from Dunscore and an axe and spearhead from Springfield Hill are also reported. A small slab discovered in East Lomond depicts a bull in a pecked design.
James G Marwick
34 - 36
A group of six stone-built cists was discovered during ploughing. Three contained unburnt human bone at the west end and a water worn stone at the east end. Two were empty while the sixth cist, which lay at a depth of five feet below the others, contained only ashes. A flat triangular stone was found adjacent to one of the large cists and was found to be incised. The markings consist of eight bands of lattice patterns between single marginal lines cut across the edge of the stone.
Michael C Andrews
36 - 66
These early nautical maps confine their attention almost exclusively to coastal features, seaports and islands. Political boundaries of countries, states, and kingdoms are altogether omitted, and even their natural frontiers are seldom indicated. The borderland between Scotland and England appears, however, to be one of the exceptions to this rule. This representation takes different forms in the work of different cartographical schools, executed at different dates.
William Douglas
67 - 94
The foundation of the Abbey of Culross is dated to 1217 in a charter granted by Malcolm, Earl of Fife. The presence of three Celtic stones in the churchyard and links to the legends of St Serf and St Kentigern hint at the presence of an earlier church on the site. The discovery of a fifteenth-century transumpt or copy prompted the translation of many earlier charters contained therein. Later documents include a monks' charter of 1568.
J G Callander
105 - 122
The Eglinton casket is made of whale bone with bronze mountings and is decorated with Celtic interlaced designs carved in fairly high relief. It has much in common with an example from Fife. Some of the design can be paralleled on later medieval West Highland grave slabs and many of these also have depictions of caskets. The Kindrochit brooch was found in the ruins of the castle. It is a flat-ring brooch of a previously unknown type, made of silver with an engraved inscription whose meaning is unclear.
Angus Graham
123 - 132
The article describes a cross-shaft at Kilmore, Dervaig; a cross-shaft at Pennygowan; a slab and fragments of two others at Tobermory; two slabs at Kilinailean, and another at Kilninian, all in Mull; and a slab at Kilmory, Knapdale; another at Kilfinan, Cowal; and two fragments at Saddell, Kintyre, all on the mainland.
W D Simpson
132 - 148
The ruined castle at Balvenie occupied a position of tactical and strategic importance. The article describes construction phases in the 13th, 15th and 16th centuries demonstrating that the castle evolved from a primitive and purely military castle of enciente into a fortified residence.
John Smith
155 - 160
Magdalen Chapel in Cowgate survived the Reformation largely untouched and in 1641 Charles I made the Incorporation of Hammermen of Edinburgh patrons of the endowment.
Arthur J H Edwards
Thomas H Bryce
160 - 182
A number of stone-built long cists within a long mound were excavated. Graves 1-4 were contained within square or nearly square settings of stone, in the form of a kerb, either built, or composed. of slabs set on edge. The burials were made in cists, and the cists were surrounded and covered with boulders and stones, with a top layer of white quartzite pebbles covering all. Each cist contained a single individual, although in the same enclosure there might be one or more cists.\r\nIn graves 5 and 6 the outer construction and shape differ. In each case the inner receptacle for the burials consisted of a sub-oval stone-lined chamber or large built cist, in which there were two or more burials, but the external form of the monument might be either rectangular or circular. The only artefact was a bronze chain around the neck of one of the individuals. There is evidence to suggest that burial took place over an extended period.
Alexander O Curle
183 - 214
A review of the development of the domestic candlestick starting in the fourteenth century when the socket candlestick seems first to make its appearance in Europe. The article draws on material from Scotland, England, France and Holland.
J H Stevenson
218 - 226
An account of three seals all of which show a stag-head accompanied by a lesser figure of one kind or another between the stag's horns. Although in two cases the owners are identified as Ralph Westhouse and Nicolas de Galway no references to either man have been traced. The owner of the third seal found at Epsom is unknown.
Frank G Simpson
J W Paterson
227 - 253
Inchcolm Abbey which is situated on an island in the Forth is the only monastery extant in Scotland which shows the complete arrangement of the establishment. A detailed account of the development of the monastery from its foundation in 1123 to its\r\ndissolution in the 16th century is presented with accompanying plans and sections. Documentary references are also considered.
J G Callander
257 - 261
A hammer-stone found on the north side of Rossie Law is notable for two broad rounded raised mouldings which extend along both sides and round the narrow end though not around the butt. The decoration lends weight to the argument that these objects had a ceremonial rather than a practical function. A number of graves were discovered during construction of a golf course at Airngath Hill. Two deposits of cremated human bone, a short cist and an oval chamber are thought to be Bronze Age. A jet ring was found nearby. Two empty long cists are thought to be medieval.
Archibald Fairbairn
262 - 266
Evidence of Bronze Age occupation was recovered in the form of pottery, charcoal and heat-cracked stones. A saddle quern and part of a jet armlet are likely to be of Iron Age date. Mediaeval activity comprised a substantial earthwork which probably functioned as a sheep-fold. A post-medieval silver button and a brass shoe-buckle were also recovered.
R S G Anderson
266 - 268
An account of three fragmented cross slabs all thought to be of 10th-century date from Carleton, Glasserton and Fardenreoch. The Carleton slab has a cross decoration similar in form to an example from St Ninian's Cave. The cross-head at Glasserton is of the Whithorn type while the Fardenreoch example has a rope, plait and twist ornament uncommon in Scotland.
James Cruickshank
269 - 273
The cross is mentioned in a charter of 1316. It is a flat cross of stone and turf which was intended to mark one end of an episcopal property.
W D Simpson
273 - 280
The standing stone is said to mark the place where Lulach, stepson of Macbeth, was overtaken and killed after his father's defeat and death at Lumphanan (15th August 1057). The upper symbol on the stone is the familiar 'elephant' while the other is indecipherable. The church is believed to have its origins in the 6th century. The nearby 'Battle Stone' has on one side a Celtic cross between two fish-like monsters facing each other on top and a grotesque beast at the base, while on the other side are a bird, a serpent, and an ox's skull, and a horseman with his hound. A stone in Botriphnie churchyard, Banffshire has an incised cross of the equal armed, wheeled and shafted type. The contents from a midden at the monastery on St Serf's Island, Lochleven are described along with the topography of Balcastle Motte.
J Storer Clouston
281 - 300
Report on excavation of a Viking fortified residence which comprised a primitive 'keep' with at least two buildings in the courtyard which were identified as a drinking hall and a bathroom. Much of the stonework had been robbed out and only one or two courses survived. It stands at the end of Gernaness peninsula.
James Ritchie
304 - 313
The legends relating to the monuments are grouped under five headings: the influence of good and evil spirits, the notion of worship, the idea of buried treasure, human associations and animal associations. Sites referred to include Drumel, Corrydoun, Chapel o'Sink, Auld Kirk o' Alford, Rayne, St Marnan's Chair and Macbeth's Stone at Lumphanan. It is noteworthy that where the term druid has been applied to these monuments in Aberdeenshire it is intended to mean anything pagan or heathen.
D Hay Fleming
314 - 383
The document, now held in Register House, Edinburgh, petitioned against the Book of Common Prayer, better known now as Laud's Liturgy, the Book of Canons, and the archbishops and bishops. The author presents a detailed account of the early history and constitution of the Reformed Church of Scotland to explain the reasons for the grievances.
James S Richardson
384 - 408
The article presents a gazetteer of lesser known examples of medieval Scottish wood carving from across Scotland. Items of both Gothic and Renaissance character are considered. The objects include carved panels in churches, aumbrie doors and railings.
Francis C Eeles
409 - 420
The Guthrie Bell, so-called because it was preserved for many years at Guthrie Castle, Forfarshire, is an early Christian quadrangular bell made of iron contained within a shrine made of bronze plates. It is argued that because the bell in enshrined it was of some importance and may have belonged to a Celtic saint with a probable date in the 8th century or earlier.
421 - 455