n.a., (1939). Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 74. Edinburgh: Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. https://doi.org/10.5284/1000184.

The title of the publication or report
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 74
The series the publication or report is included in
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Volume number and part
The number of pages in the publication or report
Number of Pages:
Any files associated with the publication or report that can be downloaded from the ADS
The DOI (digital object identifier) for the publication or report.
Publication Type
Publication Type
The type of publication - report, monograph, journal article or chapter from a book
Publication Type:
The publisher of the publication or report
Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Year of Publication
Year of Publication
The year the book, article or report was published
Year of Publication:
Extra information on the publication or report.
Date Of Issue From: 1939 Date Of Issue To: 01
Where the record has come from or which dataset it was orginally included in.
ADS Archive
Related resources
Related resources
Other resources which are relavant to this publication or report
Created Date
Created Date
The date the record of the pubication was first entered
Created Date:
05 Dec 2008
Article Title Sort Order Both Arrows Access Type Author / Editor Page
Start/End Sort Order Up Arrow
1 - 5
A D Lacaille
6 - 13
J M Davidson
G H Edington
13 - 23
Two cists were found side by side at Achinchanter whilst ploughing. The crouched skeleton in the first cist was very badly decomposed and only fragments of skull and long bone survived. The second cist contained a human jaw bone, a flint barbed and tanged arrowhead, a Food Vessel and a fragment of bronze. A sculptured stone from Embo Street formed part of a cist. The symbol suggests the form of a much shortened spade with a greatly exaggerated handle. There is a single cup on the underside of the stone. Two cup-marked boulders at Duible are described along with a group of three tumuli and a carved stone ball from Golspie. A cist in a mound at Ascoilemore contained only an urn.
Thomas H Bryce
23 - 36
In the Orkney Islands the chambered tombs, broadly speaking, fall into two classes, corridor tombs (so-called stalled cairns) and chambered tombs proper. All are passage tombs. In the Shetland Islands great funerary monuments such as occur in\r\nthe Orkneys are nowhere to be seen. Only a relatively small number of chambered cairns exist, and all exhibit, by comparison with the Orkney tombs, features which suggest degeneration, combined, however, with others which might be regarded as archaic. The surviving heel cairns peculiar to Shetland are in poor condition and there is an absence of relics. An account of these monuments is presented and their relationship to other types of chambered cairn is considered.
Ian A Richmond
37 - 48
A fortification on the Black Hill is re-interpreted as a Roman signal tower on the basis of further excavation. The tower is placed in a curious position. It does not, as might be expected, face Inchtuthil, three miles away. Its immediate objective is two isolated gaps or passages in a large linear earthwork, which runs across the plain some 500 yards away at the nearest point. The earthwork is known as the Cleaven Dyke. This was partly excavated and interpreted as a Roman limes or border defence.
Stewart H Cruden
48 - 59
The north side and the east and west ends of Traprain Law are protected by ramparts;\r\nthe south side is sheer cliff and requires no fortification. There are at least two defensive systems of different character. The results of the excavations are presented along with many illustrations. Hearths and other features were found below sections of rampart. Artefacts included pottery, silver coins, and glass armlets.
Cecil L Curle
60 - 116
The paper presents a classification and a tentative chronology, and a review of the comparative material along with a consideration of the relvance of Pictish and Irish art. Although the whole collection of early sculptured stones in Scotland forms a very varied series, there is a main group of Christian monuments of a distinctive type of which there are more £han a hundred still in existence. These are distributed over an area extending northwards from the River Forth as far as the Shetland Islands, and westwards to the Hebrides, the majority, however, being on the east coast. The uniformly Celtic character of their decoration makes it clear that in origin they go back to the period of the Celtic Church, and that they form part of the great group of early Christian monuments which extend over Ireland, the Isle of Man, Wales, and parts of England, as well as Scotland. But, although belonging to this series, the Scottish 1 sculptures show a definite originality. A distribution map and many plates are included. \r\n
Charles B Boog Watson
116 - 223
Alexander Low
133 - 134
While most of the bones are incomplete owing to decay, they are obviously the skeletal remains of a muscular adult male approximately 5 feet 6 inches in stature.
Peter Kenneth
The damaged short cist contained only the remains of a human skeleton.
W A Thorpe
134 - 135
A fragment of polychrome glass came from the excavation of an earth house at Tealing in 1871. The fragment is part of the side of one of the ribbed, low, circular bowls\r\nof Roman date familiarly, though inaccurately, described by the nineteenth-century\r\nname of "pillar-moulded bowls." It is an example of the type made from polychrome murrine glass and worked into an irregular streaky pattern, probably manufactured in Italy.
William Fenton
The Gallows Knowe is an obviously artificial mound. Stone 'coffins' were revealed in the nineteenth century. A stone built short cist was disturbed by workmen in 1939. A circular layer of white quartz pebbles was found at one end of the cist along with a few fragments of burnt bone.
Alex G McLeod
Arthur J H Edwards
136 - 137
Following the discovery of three rim sherds, a shoulder sherd of a cinerary urn, several fragments of charred wood and a few tiny pieces of broken burnt bone a formal investigation was carried out and a clay filled pit was excavated. One of the layers in the pit consisted of red ashes, surrounded by a margin of unconsumed oak charcoal and fine black earth, with a few very small fragments of burnt bone. This feature has been interpreted as a pyre site. Beaker sherds were located in the vicinity. A nearby shaft was probably used as a medieval kitchen refuse dump for Borland Castle.
Arthur J H Edwards
137 - 138
A Renaissance gold pendant, the work of a sixteenth-century French goldsmith, is a fine\r\nexample of one of the decorative arts of the period, and was probably made for Mary Queen of Scots. A gold signet ring, formerly belonging to Mary Queen of Scots, with Arms\r\nsimilar to those on the Pendant is in the possession of the British Museum. It is thought to date to the decade between 1548 and 1558.
Arthur J H Edwards
The brooch fragment was found within a deposit of red ashes, bone and shell. The upper surface of the ornament is partially gilt, and in the centre of the hoop is an oval sunk panel in which there had probably been an amber setting. Between the central portion and the terminal the hoop is traversed longitudinally by a moulding, in relief, running parallel to its flanged edges. The terminal is lozenge-shaped, with raised margins, and at the junction of the terminal with the hoop the edge expands so as to form a small hood. In the centre of the terminal is an amber setting, placed, in relief, within a circle divided into four segments by lines radiating from the setting to each corner of the terminal.
Robert B K Stevenson
Alexander Low
138 - 145
A short cist was discovered during ploughing at Thurston Mains and an intact beaker vessel, a flint knife and some bones were removed. The cist contained two crouched skeletons, both women under thirty five years of age. The body positions suggest that they were buried at the same time. A cist and beaker urn were found on the farm of Skateraw, after which the cist was filled in.
Robert B K Stevenson
145 - 146
A few loose bones led to the recognition of a cist which protruded at the edge of a knoll of terrace gravel above the floodplain, of the Tweed. The skeletal remains were very fragmentary but are probably those of a well-developed male of above 40 or 45 years of age.
Robert B K Stevenson
A stone-built long cist was disturbed during ploughing. It contained the skull and arm bones of an adult.
147 - 151
151 - 158
159 - 169