H. M Paton, ed., (1945). Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 80. Edinburgh: Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. https://doi.org/10.5284/1000184.

The title of the publication or report
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 80
The series the publication or report is included in
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Volume number and part
The number of pages in the publication or report
Number of Pages:
Any files associated with the publication or report that can be downloaded from the ADS
The DOI (digital object identifier) for the publication or report.
Publication Type
Publication Type
The type of publication - report, monograph, journal article or chapter from a book
Publication Type:
The editor of the publication or report
H M Paton
The publisher of the publication or report
Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Year of Publication
Year of Publication
The year the book, article or report was published
Year of Publication:
Where the record has come from or which dataset it was orginally included in.
ADS Archive
Related resources
Related resources
Other resources which are relavant to this publication or report
Created Date
Created Date
The date the record of the pubication was first entered
Created Date:
02 Jul 2013
Article Title Sort Order Both Arrows Access Type Author / Editor Page
Start/End Sort Order Up Arrow
V G Childe
8 - 11
A group of objects described as part of a metal-worker's stock comprising a broken spearhead, a socketed hammer and an anvil. The wider distribution of anvils is considered.
Alexander O Curle
11 - 25
The wag consisted of a series of stone-built structures within a bank and ditch enclosure. Artefacts included small sherds of coarse cooking pots, two saddle querns and three modified human bones.
J M Davidson
25 - 33
Sites discussed include a prehistoric tumulus, a short-cist cemetery, early Christian chapels, castles, a post-medieval sculptured grave slab, three chambered cairns, a stone circle and artefacts including flint and stone tools.
William Fenton
34 - 36
Discussion of a cross-stone used as a boundary marker in Lintrathen, Angus.
Angus Graham
37 - 43
A survey by the RCAHMS identified a small group of buildings of a distinctive type not previously known in Scotland. No more than four certain examples have been discovered, and all of them are concentrated in quite a small area on and near the head of Jed Water in Roxbughshire. They are known in much larger numbers in Northumberland. These houses are stone built barn like structures with gable-ends of two storeys, or sometimes three.
F A Greenhill
43 - 61
Report on two incised slabs. The first slab of brown sandstone from Kinkell, Aberdeenshire had a crude engraved effigy of an armed man with a marginal inscription and two shields. It is a rare depiction of Scottish armour in the early 15th century. The second slab, also of brown sandstone is from Cross Kirk, Peebles. The incomplete slab depicts an ecclesiastic with parts of a marginal inscription. It has been dated to the 16th century, contra the inscription which reads "Shrine of St Nicholas 1260."
P A M Keef
66 - 73
Excavation focussed on the entrance, the structure of the defences, and of the huts inside the main enclosure. The rampart, and floors of an annexe on the west, and of terraces beyond it, were also examined. In the absence of any artefactual evidence the hillfort was dated to the Scottish Iron Age.
M Dominica Legge
73 - 82
A re-assessment of the historical evidence relating to the coronation of Alexander III, in particular the traditionally held view that during the coronation the Latin formulas were translated into French by the Bishop of St Andrew's.
Stuart Piggott
C M Piggott
83 - 103
Field observations were made on a variety of sites including standing stones, possible stone circles, burial cairns and duns. In particular the 'dun' at Dunan Na Nighean was re-interpreted as a possible passage grave.
Ian A Richmond
103 - 117
Description of a putative Roman road whose function is believed to link the south-west of Scotland with Trimontium or Newstead. It is argued that the site at Raeburnfoot was an intermediate fort or fortlet along its route.
W D Simpson
117 - 126
Description of the tomb of William Forbes, seventh laird of Forbes which he constructed in 1598 in the parish church of Tarves. The tomb is now located in the churchyard of the present kirk which was constructed in 1798. Features of Tolquhon Castle are also considered.
Robert B K Stevenson
127 - 131
Re-assessment of a group of ten Jacobite rings. The rings are of enamelled gold in a variety of designs but with details in common. A feature of Jacobite propaganda, they are thought to have been made in France.
Wallace Thorneycroft
131 - 135
Cairns associated with the hut-circles have been examined and are thought to be the result of clearing ground for agricultural purposes. Excavation of a further two stone-built hut-circles suggests the ground was levelled prior to construction. Internal features included postholes and fired stones. Finds included pottery, bone, daub, charcoal, worked stones and a grain of barley.
Robert B K Stevenson
135 - 139
A large shell heap on a raised beach was discovered by mechanical excavator. It measured 170 x 25 x 1.5 yards and comprised 6-7 million oyster shells with occasional mussels, winkles, cockles and buckies. Burnt layers with charcoal and heat-fractured pebbles were also present. A vertical sided pit was dug into the heap at an unknown date.
W P Mayes
Discovery of an earthenware jug of 13th-15th century date.
Peter Moar
W P Mayes
140 - 141
A hoard of 14 polished stone knives was discovered in association with a dilapidated cairn.
Robert B K Stevenson
141 - 143
A re-assessment of Neolithic pottery from the Isle of Lewis, Urquhart, Morayshire, Skitten, Caithness, Dingieshowe and Evie in Orkney, Glenluce, Wigtonshire and Hedderwick, East Lothian. Sherds from Kenny's Cairn in Caithness have now been dated to the Iron Age.
Hugh Marwick
143 - 144
The earth-house comprised a roundish hollow surrounded by stone pillars around its periphery at intervals of approximately 2.5 feet. Large roofing flagstones rest on one centrally site pillar to form a 'room. The whole structure was covered by earth.
F A Greenhill
A windmill depicted in a water-colour view of Whithorn in 1825 has been linked to a local landmark known as the "Windmill Stump". It consists of the shell of a two-storey circular building of brown sandstone, with some red brick, about 22 feet in height, with an iron railing about 3 feet high running round the top. On the western side is an outer staircase of stone leading from ground-level to the first floor, of which only a few odd timbers remain.
Norman M Johnson
144 - 145
There is a curiously shaped trough by the well in the north-east corner of Hazelton cross-roads which was originally used as a cooling-trough in the adjacent smithy for a considerable period. About forty years ago the trough was placed in its present position for use as a drinking-trough, as each cottage then kept a cow.
Robert B K Stevenson
145 - 146
An inverted decorated urn contained cremated bone. The urn had been placed in a pit with stones laid in its base.
George A Cumming
146 - 148
Isolated discovery of a flint core axe.
W D Simpson
148 - 150
Re-assessment of a vessel discovered within a cairn. A second vessel recovered from a nearby cist is a wide shallow bowl which the writer argues has more in common with Early Iron Age vessels.
151 - 164
165 - 170