n.a., (1978). Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 110. Edinburgh: Society of Antiquaries of Scotland.

The title of the publication or report
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 110
The series the publication or report is included in
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Volume number and part
Any files associated with the publication or report that can be downloaded from the ADS
The DOI (digital object identifier) for the publication or report.
Publication Type
Publication Type
The type of publication - report, monograph, journal article or chapter from a book
Publication Type:
The publisher of the publication or report
Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Year of Publication
Year of Publication
The year the book, article or report was published
Year of Publication:
Extra information on the publication or report.
Date Of Issue From: 1980
Where the record has come from or which dataset it was orginally included in.
ADS Archive
Created Date
Created Date
The date the record of the pubication was first entered
Created Date:
05 Dec 2008
Article Title Sort Order Both Arrows Access Type Author / Editor Page
Start/End Sort Order Up Arrow
John Mercer
1 - 31
NR 644874. A large quantity of microliths and three stone-built rings, perhaps cooking-places, represent occupation dated by 14C to the later 7th millennium bc; later material reflects activity on the site into Neolithic times. A R
Trevor Watkins
Ian A G Shepherd
32 - 43
NO 805324. A coffin in a grave-pit surrounded by a ring ditch was associated with a classic Dutch 2IIc beaker, a flint fabricator and a flint knife. A R
John W Hedges
44 - 71
An account of eleven undatable short cists containing cremation burials and vitreous material but no grave-goods. A R
George Jobey
72 - 113
NT 212434. Nine house-platforms and associated field-banks yielded flat-rim ware and 14C dates indicating occupation in the later 2nd millennium BC. The multi-period cairn, built in late 3rd millennium BC, covered burials with grave-goods including Beakers, shale ornaments, flint knives and collared urns. AR
Elise M Wilson
114 - 121
Trevor Watkins
122 - 164
NO 626673. A settlement of round timber houses was associated with lengths of curving ditch comparable with souterrains. Grain and rotary querns indicate agricultural activities, and 14C dates (corrected) range from 3rd century BC to 6th century AD. A R
Trevor Watkins
165 - 208
NO 084324. A settlement of round timber houses included one particularly large house from which a stone-built souterrain was entered. 14C dates indicate that the souterrain was built about the 1st century BC and filled in around 200 AD, but there is evidence to suggest that activity on this extensive site continued into the 9th century AD. A note by G Barclay compares the souterrain with others in Perthshire and Angus. A R
J N Graham Ritchie
Alan M Lane
209 - 229
NM 274247. A small fort defended by a stone wall with internal traces of a circular house; the pottery typifies the decorated Iron Age wares of the Hebrides, for which a chronological range 100 BC-AD 300 is likely. A R
Iain MacIvor
M Clare Clare Thomas
David J Breeze
230 - 285
NS 843798. The N and W ramparts of the fort and part of the praetentura were examined. The 'additional margins' of the W rampart were shown to be an ascensus on the inside, and interleaved road surfaces and rampart tumble on the outside. The earliest structures in the praetentura appeared to be temporary and were followed by two timber buildings, presumably barrack-blocks. All evidence for putative Antonine II buildings had been removed in 1903 but there were traces of ?lean-to buildings against the inside races of the W and N ramparts. Occupation continued into the early 160s. Au(abr)
Ian A Richmond
286 - 304
[NT 3472]. Excavation 1946-7 located the fort, which measured 480 ft by 615-595 over the clay rampart, and dated to the Antonine period. Inside it stone barrack-blocks and a stable, with concrete floors and timber partitions, were located, the latter partly overlying an earlier stone granary. One bath-house lay to the E and a second to the S, possibly within an annexe. D J B
Mollie Miller
305 - 327
A discussion of the historical and archaeological evidence for an Irish attack on Britain in the period between the end of the Third Pictish War (c 460) and Gildas' account of it (c 545) in which he implies that the Irish returned. An attack around AD 530 seems acceptable, led by Cairell of the Dál Fiatach of Ulster. A R
Joanna Close-Brooks
328 - 345
NC 847003. A low rectangular cairn covered the burial in a long cist of an adult female marked by a Class I Pictish symbol stone bearing an incised double crescent, snake and Z-rod and mirror and comb. Two 14C analyses indicate a date for the burial in the 7th century ad. NC 848004. Medieval corn-drying kiln. A R
Patrick J Ashmore
346 - 355
Low mounds surrounded by rectilinear or circular ditches and low rectilinear and circular kerbed cairns, both groups covering extended inhumation burials, represent a funerary tradition of the pre-Viking Iron Age, predominantly in N Scotland. Sometimes forming cemeteries, these mounds and cairns are loosely associated with Pictish symbol stones, and a possible origin in La Tène burial tradition is suggested. A R
J B Kenworthy
356 - 363
A fragment of relief carving depicting an animal head biting the tail of a double outlined ribbon body; stylistic analysis suggests a close relationship with the Durham school of sculpture in the 11th century AD. A R
Catherine M Brooks
364 - 403
NT 520709. Excavation of two kilns yielded a very large assemblage of wheel-thrown vessels in typically pale fabric with thick yellow, green or brown glazes. Cooking pots and jugs predominate, the jugs decorated mostly with applied strips but also with face-masks; mid to later 13th century. A R
W G R Bodie
404 - 431
H Gordon Slade
432 - 474
[NO 7975]. Estate in same family since 12th century. Buildings erected round a wedge-shaped courtyard: hallhouse of c 1420 extended c 1480 when camera built opposite on earlier wall (plinth paralleled in parish kirk dedicated 1242). Additions of 16th and 17th centuries (fine ceilings) but main house rebuilt 1755 (contract reproduced). D F R
G R Curtis
475 - 496
Based on fieldwork and excavation, this is an examination of the engineering aspects of roads and bridges built under the auspices of (successively) Wade, Caulfeild, Telford and the Ministry of Transport. AR
C F Hawke-Smith
497 - 502
NK 101256, NJ 991212. Two flint working sites examined many years ago at Forvie and Menie Links yielded numerous rod microliths which identify these sites as among the most northerly Meso sites in Britain.
R C Barcham
502 - 506
Sorts out a muddle relating to two determinations for Ness of Gruting, one of which was mistakenly attributed to Stanydale. Calder's material is unequivocally now placed in a Beaker/EBA context.
J N Graham Ritchie
506 - 508
Nicholas M McQ Holmes
508 - 509
Trevor G Cowie
Ian A G Shepherd
509 - 513
David J Breeze
Denise Rich-Gray
513 - 517
NS 860810. Six circular pits, containing burnt debris and lying close to an inhumation (77/4444), may have held the fires below funeral pyres. A Roman rather than an Iron Age date is preferable. D J B
R G Lamb
517 - 519
Hilary Murray
Gordon J Ewart
519 - 527
NT 248803. ?Twelth century ditches and postholes: 1, circular ?tower (12.4m external diameter); 2, squarish structure (5m sides) with corner gap and four internal ?roof-bearing supports. D F R/Ed
J N Graham Ritchie
528 - 530
John W Barber
530 - 533
Ronald W M Clouston
533 - 534
535 - 574
575 - 580