Hirst, S. M. and Wright, S. M., eds. (2004). The Cistercian abbey of St Mary Stratford Langthorne, Essex:. MOLA (Museum of London Archaeology).

Title
Title
The title of the publication or report
Title:
The Cistercian abbey of St Mary Stratford Langthorne, Essex:
Subtitle
Subtitle
The sub title of the publication or report
Subtitle:
archaeological excavations for the London Underground Limited Jubilee Line Extension Project
Series
Series
The series the publication or report is included in
Series:
MoLAS Monograph
Volume
Volume
Volume number and part
Volume:
18
Number of Pages
Number of Pages
The number of pages in the publication or report
Number of Pages:
214
Publication Type
Publication Type
The type of publication - report, monograph, journal article or chapter from a book
Publication Type:
Monograph Chapter (in Series)
Abstract
Abstract
The abstract describing the content of the publication or report
Abstract:
Integrated report taking account of all strands of evidence for the development of the abbey of St Mary Stratford Langthorne, Essex, which was founded as a Savigniac house in 1135 and incorporated into the Cistercian Order in 1147; it was suppressed in 1538. Excavations on the site took place between 1973 and 1994. The report is presented in a series of period chapters. Little evidence was found for the monastery's origins, apart from a few very early burials, but it appears that it was established within a pre-existing field system. Limited archaeological evidence for pre-monastic timber buildings was found, and there are documentary indications of a late Saxon/early Norman manorial centre and associated church in the vicinity. The earliest monastic church identified was a simple, aisleless, cruciform structure of the mid-twelfth century. This was partially rebuilt and extended on at least two occasions, the last archaeologically defined building, dated to after c.1220, showing clear relaxation of early Cistercian austerity. To the east of the east claustral range a complex series of truncated footings illustrate parts of the great drain and the monks' infirmary/abbot's lodging area. After c.1350 there is some evidence of a dramatic decline the monastic population and the stagnation of the abbey's architectural development. Of the buildings of the inner and outer courts only one, a guesthouse, has been archaeologically identified with any certainty. A number of thematic essays address research aims, such as the plan of the precinct; the architecture and decoration of the monastery; the people of the monastery; burial customs and cemetery usage. There was a total burial population of 647 individuals, whose remains are analysed and interpreted. The issue of identifying the various elements of the precinct's population is also addressed, as is the conflicting evidence relating to medical care. The skeletal and other evidence is considered in the light of Cistercian and other medieval cemetery sites and known Cistercian legislation. A chapter on the monastery in its wider context looks at issues such as the degree to which St Mary Stratford was affected by its proximity to London, its role within the Cistercian order, evidence for the basis of the monastic economy, and a comparison of the finds assemblage with those of other religious houses. The effects of the Dissolution are discussed, and a critical look is taken at the research aims of the project, with suggested areas for future research. Includes French and German summaries. Separately authored reports include
Author
Author
The authors of this publication or report
Author:
Bruno Barber
Steve Chew
Tony Dyson
Bill White
Editor
Editor
The editor of the publication or report
Editor:
Susan M Hirst
Susan M Wright ORCID icon
Publisher
Publisher
The publisher of the publication or report
Publisher:
MOLA (Museum of London Archaeology)
Year of Publication
Year of Publication
The year the book, article or report was published
Year of Publication:
2004
ISBN
ISBN
International Standard Book Number
ISBN:
1-901992-38-1
Source
Source
Where the record has come from or which dataset it was orginally included in.
Source:
Source icon
BIAB (The British & Irish Archaeological Bibliography (BIAB))
Created Date
Created Date
The date the record of the pubication was first entered
Created Date:
22 Sep 2006

Please click on a Article link to go to the Article Details.
Chapter Title Sort Order no arrows Access Type Author / Editor Page
Start/End Sort Order up arrow
Abstract
Reference record only Tony Dyson
131 - 132
No Abstract icon
Reference record only Mark Samuel
132 - 138
No Abstract icon
Reference record only Terence P Smith
Ian M Betts
138 - 146
No Abstract icon
Reference record only Roy Stephenson
147 - 148
No Abstract icon
Reference record only Jackie Keily
John Shepherd
148 - 149
No Abstract icon
Reference record only Jackie Keily
Geoff Egan
149 - 156
No Abstract icon
Reference record only Charlotte Ainsley
156 - 158
No Abstract icon
Reference record only Bill White
158 - 179
No Abstract icon
Reference record only Anthony Clark
179
No Abstract icon