Series: Rock Davidson Associates unpublished report series

Rock Davidson Associates
ADS Digital Resource logo  ADS Digital Resource

Primary Contact: Louisa Davidson: email
Primary logo
  • Browse
  • Details
  • Statistics
  • Search
Series Publication Type: Series Publication Type image
Year of Publication (Start): 2015
Year of Publication (End): 2020
Records per page:
Previous   Page 1 of 1   Next
Filter results by issue title, e.g. 'roman military station'
Filter info icon Filter:
Wait (Spinner) image

Please click on an Issue link to go to the Issue Details.
Issue Title Sort Order up arrow Access Type Publication
Type
  Author / Editor   Abstract Publication
Year Sort Order no arrows
Publication Type icon L Davidson
J Rock
It was requested on December 7th 2019, that RDA now analyse the upper staircase historic fabric with the carpet and metal nosings having been removed from the box step to this staircase, and with some of the carpet and metal nosings removed from the stairs treads and risers. This short addendum is therefore a recording of the findings on December 7th 2019 regarding this staircase to help inform the LPA on a proposal but is not an analysis of any proposed new works or the impact. This is an addendum to this report and should be read in conjunction with the assessment dated June 2019.
Abstract icon
2019
Download available from the ADS Publication Type icon Jacob Rock
Louisa Davidson
Assessment of The Water Mill and associated buildings on site. A fine example of a Water Mill [GDII listed] of C18/early C19 origins with some internal features remaining and it is important architecturally, historically, aesthetically and has communal value. In a lease in 1539 a Mill is mentioned as the Abbot's water mill and vineyard. The great barn [The Tithe Barn to the SouthEast of the site] would have been used by the Abbey to store produce from the manor. There has been historically a Mill on this site for hundreds of years and it has historical associations with the Hartpury Manor Estate until it was sold in 1919. There is evidential phasing from the 18th/ early 19th century, and is today still architectural readable. The Granary which may have not originally been a Granary but used as storage with the prolificcider making in the vicinity. From at least the 17th century fruit orchards, particularly for cider and perry, became a major feature of this area including the Hartpury pear most probably converted into perry. The Mill House has undergone changes and was most likely rebuilt in 1838 possibly reusing some of the materials from an earlier cottage. The front elevation of the cottage is the most significant and can be seen with the Mill from afar.
Abstract icon
2018
Download available from the ADS Publication Type icon Louisa Davidson
Jacob Rock
The North Arms and separately listed Stable Outbuilding are important architecturally and historically, with the associations with the North family of Wroxton Abbey. The North Arms is a prominent building in the Village and makes an important contribution to its setting. The Public house has original features from at least the 18th century, including x3 possible raised cruck trusses.Further analysis could be carried out for dating the timbers by using dendrochronology methods.There is evidential phasing from the 18th and 19th century, with additions made in the 20th century in the form of external doors, windows and the alterations to the now Toilet Block. The North Arms has some surviving significant features of note from the 17th century up to the 19th century all helping to tell a story of the buildings past. There has been inevitable loss of historic external windows and doors, and many external openings have changed over time especially during the 19th century.This assessment was commissioned to help inform the LPA on a proposal but was not an analysis of any proposed new works or the impact. A Schedule of works and Impact Assessment was carried out May 2019 taking into account the findings from this heritage report by RDA. This Report does include an some assessment of significance of the heritage asset and its surroundings and analysis of the historic fabric as found and could be seen on February 15th 2019
Abstract icon
2019
Download available from the ADS Publication Type icon L Davidson
J Rock
Assessment and significance of pews in the west end corner of St Michael's Church, Cropthorne including an onsite survey inspection/photographs/assessment of fabric/ historical analysis and desk based research including a visit to the Worcester Record Office at The Hive.
Abstract icon
2019
Download available from the ADS Publication Type icon L Davidson
J Rock
Heritage Assessment curtilage listed Outbuildings, at Flat 1 Cotheridge Court , Grade: II* Country house. Late C16, altered in 1770 with later additions. Residence of the Berkeley Family until 1949. The Mansion House was divided into apartments in the 1950s. Assessment of significance of the heritage assets, Flat 1 outbuildings, and the surroundings and analysis of the historic fabric as found and could be seen on 29th November 2019 equivalent to a Level 1-2 Building Recording, [Ref Understanding Historic Buildings A Guide to Good Recording Practice Historic England May 2016]
Abstract icon
2019
Download available from the ADS Publication Type icon L Davidson
J Rock
This assessment was commissioned to help inform the LPA on a proposal as there could be a material change to the character of the building, The Counting House, but is not an analysis of any proposed new works or the impact. A Schedule of works and Impact Assessments are to be carried out taking into account the findings from this heritage report. This report does include some assessment of significance of the heritage asset and its surroundings and analysis of the historic fabric as found and could be seen on 30th December 2019 There was one site visit made on 30th December 2019 to access and take photographs, equivalent to a Level 1 Building Recording, [Ref Understanding Historic Buildings A Guide to Good Recording Practice Historic England May 2016]
Abstract icon
2019
Download available from the ADS Publication Type icon Louisa Davidson
A programme of Standing Building recording by RDA. Salvation House formerly St Saviours Guest House Ranelagh Road, Malvern, Worcestershire, WR14 1BQ , formerly St Leonards is one of a group of four pioneering early Queen Anne Revival houses of late 1860s by celebrated architect G F Bodley in Malvern Link assisted by renowned architect Philip Webb. Philip Webb was to take this style further making a significant contribution to the Arts and Crafts movement and influence that followed. Therefore this group of four Queen Anne houses by the architect Bodley are nationally significant . The 4 houses at Malvern Link are only one of four early examples of Queen Anne revival houses in the country by G.F.Bodley. A planning application approved by Malvern Hills District Council for Conversion of Salvation House from 1 no. to form 6 apartments on the 10th May 2017 A condition was that no development shall take place until a programme of historic building recording has taken place.
Abstract icon
2018
Download available from the ADS Publication Type icon Jacob Rock
Louisa Davidson
This report was funded by gifts and donations. It is written by Rock Davidson Associates consultants on behalf of the community of Malvern and beyond in 2015 as it was felt that proper assessment of the Old Malvern Community Hospital building, Malvern, its history, character and importance and significance of the asset has not been fully told.A planning application was submitted to demolish this building in the Great Malvern Conservation Area. The impact and loss through the proposed demolition of this 104 year old building would have a lasting effect on the community and the Great Malvern Conservation area. The building had approval in August 2018 for demolition after a 3 year period trying to save it and find a reuse.
Abstract icon
2015
Download available from the ADS Publication Type icon Jacob Rock
Louisa Davidson
A rapid appraisal was undertaken by RDA on this C19 Model Farm and gives a brief history of the historic asset, its origins and development, use and alteration. It explains what makes the asset significant; identifys any special features it may possess. Bredon Field Farm is considered to be one of the best examples of a model Farm in Worcestershire. During a site visit to the farm a LEVEL 1-2 photographic survey building recording was carried out, supported by desk based assessments using relevant secondary sources such as reference books and websites. It was undertaken when the objective was to gather basic information about a building, or buildings for planning purposes, and when resources were limited and much ground had to be covered in a short time.
Abstract icon
2017
Download available from the ADS Publication Type icon Lynn Davidson
Jacob Rock
Foley House [GDII listed] , number 28 Worcester Road, in the town of Great Malvern Worcestershire is important architecturally and has original early 19th century features. To the elevations these are the original stucco render, early 19th windows, front door surround with pilasters and a decorative overhead fanlight. To the rear are further early 19th century windows and an early fanlight to the rear door. There are small side early 19th century windows in the attic rooms. Later phasing has included dormer windows to the rear and two rear overhanging bays, one with 1930s- 40s Crittall windows, that have some historical and community significance. Later alterations have involved the removal of the front ground floor early 19th windows and the rather fine portico porch seen in historic photos, these alterations have not added to the significance of the building. Inside little remains that can be seen that is significant, apart from the early 19th century staircase, alcoves and a few timber doors ,architraves and skirtings. Some earlier fabric maybe being concealed, e.g. fireplaces, original ceilings and cornices to the ground floor rooms. There is some historical and community significance with famous people and events when the building was used as a Marionette Theatre and its associations with the Malvern Festival in the 1930s and 40s.This assessment was commissioned to help inform the LPA on any future proposals but was not an analysis of any proposed new works or the impact. This report does include some assessment of significance of the heritage asset and its surroundings and analysis of the historic fabric as found and could be seen on 17th May 2019
Abstract icon
2019
Publication Type icon L Davidson
J Rock
Tudor House Museum designated Grade II* No 38-42 used for over 475 years as weavers/ merchants houses/ a brewhouse, tavern, bakery and coffee house, meeting rooms under Richard Cadburys, [3rd son of the Richard Cadbury of the Cadbury Brothers chocolate factory in Bournville, Birmingham,] ownership, followed by a clinic, education officers ,dentist and finally later in the 20th century a folk museum and the 'Tudor House Museum' as it is today. The main buildings especially cellars and attic rooms yield high architectural evidence of the buildings earlier uses, along with a good evidential example of a 17th century ceiling on the first floor. Many of the former outbuildings and gable wings were lost in the mid-20th Century with the development of the multi-storey car park and the rear elevations reflect this as remnants of former 16th century 17th century gable wings. Much of Yeates and Jones's 1910 -1913 new buildings were also lost to the car park but a toilet block and external staircase remain and are a reminder of this phase of the buildings evolution. It was during this time that the main building underwent a major internal reconfiguration and changes to external fenestration and shop front, and was opened up as one building. This report includes assessment of significance of the heritage asset and analysis of the historic fabric as found on 4th June and 19th June 2020 equivalent to a Level 2 Building Recording, Understanding Historic Buildings A Guide to Good Recording Practice Historic England May 2016
Abstract icon
2020
Download available from the ADS Publication Type icon Jacob Rock
Louisa Davidson
Heritage Statement and Assessment of Significance The Old Farmhouse Kempsey WR5 3PA and Heritage Impact Assessment for alterations to a GDII Listed Building. Early to mid-C19. Brick with hipped slate roof. A symmetrical composition of three storeys and three bays. Windows are sashed with glazing bars and gauged brick heads. Doorway has fanlight and stucco Tuscan porch. Chimneys to left and right behind ridge. RDA Assessment Equivalent to a Level 1 Building Recording, [Ref Understanding Historic Buildings A Guide to Good Recording Practice Historic England May 2016] The Old Farmhouse Baynhall Kempsey falls mostly into the category of 'The Classical House' as a building type. It has undergone some changes and phasing particularly internally that were probably from the beginning / middle of the C20 with more recent additions and changes in the 1990s and early C21. Kempsey is a village and civil parish in the Malvern Hills District in the county of Worcestershire, England. It is bounded by the River Severn on the west, and the A38 main road runs through it and is about 3 miles south of Worcester. The village has a long history.
Abstract icon
2018
Download available from the ADS Publication Type icon Jacob Rock
Louisa Davidson
Hooze farm house GDII , List entry Number: 1250604 Date first listed: 23-Feb-1987 Late C17/early C18 with early C19 extension and C20 alterations. Timber-framed with whitewashed brick infill and partly rendered brick. Plain-tile roof with brick central ridge and rear lateral stacks. Lobby-entry L-plan with rear wing on left which may be earlier. 2 storeys and semi-basement cellar. C20 front wall of 2-window range of casements with central door and open gabled porch. Right end has cross window and 5 x 3 panels of framing with tension brace and jowled posts. Rear of main range has similar blocked window and framing. Rear wing has 8 x 3 panels of slightly heavier scantling, a 2-light staircase casement, later projecting brick stack and small lean-to extension. Rear gable has framing, 2-light casement and, at lower level, early C19 ciderhouse containing complete cider mill and press. Left side of house has brick walling to basement with door and window and framing above with 3 cross windows. Projecting forwards an early C19 brick 2-storey wing with doors, casements, and brick end stack. Interior: open fireplace with bressummer, chamfered beams, old purlins and clasped principals partly visible. The early C19 wing has open fireplace and bake oven. RDA commissioned to undertake a Heritage Assessment and Statement of Significance of the Farm House and Outbuildings a time limitation of 2 weeks to complete the research and write this report, this included the time taken to visit the site and take photographs. No historical archive investigation in person was made to the County Archives in Gloucester or examination of any title deeds was undertaken in the time constriction.
Abstract icon
2016
Download available from the ADS Publication Type icon Jacob Rock
Louisa Davidson
Heritage Assessment and Statement of Significance, The Royal Oak Tenbury Wells WR15 8BQ a GDII Listed Building. Public house. Late C16 with mid- to late C19 and mid-C20 alterations. RDA assessed the nature, extent and importance of the significance of the asset and its setting to be detailed enough that the impact of any proposed works on that significance and setting could be properly assessed by the conservation team and local planning authority. This included assessing the significance including in the report a comprehensive Gazetteer where a record equivalent to a Level 2 building recording was undertaken on 5th May 2017. This assessed the significance /or potential significance of historic fabric to enable any future development to be heritage led, as stipulated and recommended in the Pre Application Report.
Abstract icon
2017
Publication Type icon L Davidson
J Rock
This report contains an analysis of the significance of the history and character of the building known as Link Lodge 3 Pickersleigh Road, Malvern WR14 2RP Grade II is important architecturally and has original early 19th century features. The elevations of brick and stucco render, one half being of stuccoes and hydraulic limes applied as a facing, has changed little from its original plan form, it may however date from the late 18th century with alterations undertaken in the early 19th century [1800 to 1820] to make it the height of fashion. There are two two storey semi-circular bays of painted ashlar effect stucco render with flat leaded roofs with fine window openings including semi-circular full height 6/6 sliding sash windows flanking either side of main building. This principal elevation would have been seen from Worcester Road and the west side elevations overlooked the rural idyll of Link Common as it does today. The south, the service side, once with adjoining pastures and orchards is now built on with late 19th century /early 20th century detached houses. There is evidence of the former stable yard which would have had a coach house and stabling and a cow house now since demolished. Outbuildings remain however attached to the south service wing including the original brick storage buildings that housed water tanks, coal, wood store, outside WC. This report does include some assessment of significance of the heritage asset and its surroundings and analysis of the historic fabric as found and could be seen on 12th June although time was curtailed due to Covid 19 crisis and regulations.
Abstract icon
2020
Download available from the ADS Publication Type icon Louisa Davidson
Salvation House was built circa 1869- 70 by architect GF Bodley with the assistance of architect Philip Webb in a Queen Anne Revival style.The spring water well in the courtyard adjacent to the external East wall would once have been within one of the outbuildings seen on 1886 plan that no longer exist and there would have been a pump.This is post investigation to the ground floor Wells that had been discovered post building recording during soft stripping and digging down below floor levels in these areas.
Abstract icon
2018
Download available from the ADS Publication Type icon Louisa Davidson
25 Bridge Street, Pershore WR10 1AJ Recording The Brandy Cask 25 Bridge Street Pershore HER Ref WSM68008Wychavon Planning Ref. Application No: 15/01769/PN, regarding a planning application approved on Appeal 1st July 2016 for of Conversion of a public house and manager's accommodation to form eight residential units consisting of seven flats and one dwelling in the courtyard outbuilding.
Abstract icon
2016
 
Previous   Page 1 of 1   Next