n.a., (1912). Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 47. Edinburgh: Society of Antiquaries of Scotland. https://doi.org/10.5284/1000284.

The title of the publication or report
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 47
The series the publication or report is included in
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Volume number and part
The number of pages in the publication or report
Number of Pages:
Any files associated with the publication or report that can be downloaded from the ADS
The DOI (digital object identifier) for the publication or report.
Publication Type
Publication Type
The type of publication - report, monograph, journal article or chapter from a book
Publication Type:
The publisher of the publication or report
Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Year of Publication
Year of Publication
The year the book, article or report was published
Year of Publication:
Where the record has come from or which dataset it was orginally included in.
ADS Archive
Related resources
Related resources
Other resources which are relevant to this publication or report
Created Date
Created Date
The date the record of the pubication was first entered
Created Date:
02 Nov 2013
Article Title Sort Order Both Arrows Access Type Author / Editor Page
Start/End Sort Order Up Arrow
1 - 12
Herbert Eustace Maxwell
12 - 16
The hoard, found below a deposit of peat included a lead weight, pins of silver, a silver strap end, a gold finger ring and twelve coins. Two hut circles and the fallen walls of a small rectangular dwelling are located nearby.
Robert R Anderson
17 - 29
The oldest accurate plan is a drawing attributed to a J Slezer and thought to have been produced during a visit in 1675. The second drawing is a large pen and ink drawing, which is a bird's-eye view from the south of the Castle and its surroundings, probably produced after 1689 and before 1707. The third very detailed drawing is dated 1746 and signed W. Adam's. This must be William Adam of Maryburgh in Fife, who held the appointment for a time as King's Master Mason. A further two plans belong to the Office of Works and are dated 1725 and 1735.
W J Watson
30 - 60
The group comprises a minimum of twenty five forts in an area measuring forty by fourteen miles. An illustrated gazetteer is presented. The structures resemble the brochs in respect of thickness of wall, and in possessing only one entrance. They differ from the brochs in possessing a much larger diameter. Whether they contained chambers is a point that can be settled only by excavation. Every single fort, or combination of forts, is placed with reference to a pass. The forts were meant to\r\nguard the passes.
Francis C Eeles
61 - 94
Sometimes bells were multiplied in a church tower without regard to the musical relation of their notes, such a collection of bells being rung together at haphazard, or the single bells used separately. Another method was to cast a large number of small bells upon which tunes could be played. After the Reformation period there was a great development on the Continent of these musical bells, the sets of which are known as carillons : the bells themselves were fixed " dead," as it\r\nis called, and struck by hammers operated by a system of wires attached to a row of keys or levers. A few of these are known in larger Scottish churches. As far as bells are concerned, Scotland has till recently been Continental in practice, and\r\nlittle, if at all, influenced by England. In Linlithgowshire there are twelve old churches, or churches representing old churches, in which ancient bells remain or\r\nin which they could have survived and six with modern bells.
Fred T Macleod)
99 - 129
Alan Reid
130 - 171
In the parish burial ground of Peebles, the tombstones are very numerous, the older among them presenting several symbolic renderings that are of considerable beauty\r\nand importance. Most of them, however, are of the type common to Lowland churchyards. One eighteenth century example has a skull and cross-bones surmounted by an hourglass, the legends Memento Mori and Fugit Hora. Another includes a cherub head, and two serpents twining round a pole surmounted by a dove. The quality of design in the nineteenth-century examples is not as well executed. Numerous table tombs are also described. Many of similar style are present at Stobo and Lyne. At West Linton the lower portion of an ancient grave-cover, whose ornamentation\r\nincludes a nail-head border and a pair of shears survives. A stone at West Linton depicts a set of miner's tools. A grave slab at Newlands commemorating an ecclesiastic has only a single incised chalice.
James Hewat Craw
172 - 173
A stone-built short cist contained a burial urn and very degraded fragments of bone.
James A Morris
174 - 196
During landscaping, besides certain interesting tombstones of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, three mediaeval slabs were uncovered, as well as the upper middle\r\nportion of a Celtic Cross comprising the shaft with part of the original head. Such crosses are uncommon in the south-west of Scotland.
Thomas Reid
209 - 256
An account of the fords, ferries, floats and bridges on the river Clyde near Lanark. Documentary evidence is considered and a detailed discussion of the part these constructions played in the history of the period is presented. The appendix provides details of the disbursements involved in building the Bridge of Clydsholm (1694).
F O Blundell
257 - 302
The survey includes islands, partly or wholly natural, when an artificial causeway proved that they had at some time been adapted for habitation. Many of the islands, or crannogs are small in size with a tendency to sink below the surface, and all employ wood foundations to a lesser or greater degree. All the known examples across the Highlands are described.
Harry R G Inglis
303 - 333
Up to the fifteenth century the movements of all the chief expeditions in Scotland seem to have been across open country, and it was only the erection of bridges in the fifteenth, sixteenth, and seventeenth centuries that made definite the lines of traffic, which afterwards gradually developed into roads. The structures are considered under the following headings: early literature and documents, comparative chronology and chief pre-Reformation bridges (mainly Stirling and Perth).
F C Mears
343 - 348
Fordell House is of fifteenth century date and follows the design of the small " keep," both in arrangement of parts and in details of workmanship. Houses of this type and date only rarely survive in Scotland. Detailed plans and elevations are included.
James King Hewison
348 - 359
The Ruthwell Cross was broken after the Reformation and the fragments were reconstructed at the beginning of the nineteenth century when it was returned to the church. An account is given of the attempts to decipher the inscriptions on the Bewcastle obelisk or cross. Consideration is also given to the likely dates of both monuments.
C G Cash
360 - 384
James Curle
384 - 405
Excavation of the South Annex took place after the main body of work and only limited information was included in the publication. This article provides further details of a range of objects including part of a leather chamfron (for protection of a horse's head), a bronze cooking pot, an oak wheel and a stone mortar. The majority are dated to the Antonine period.
J H B Bernard
408 - 417
The document is a Privilegium or Charter of Confirmation of its privileges granted in the year 1219 by Pope Honorius III to the Cistercian Abbey of Kinloss, in Morayshire. A large part of the charter recites the privileges usually accorded to foundations of the Cistercian order. A transcript of the charter in Latin is included.
James D Cairns
418 - 419
The burying-ground is quite near the shore of a little bay, at the south-east corner of the island. The ancient stone, standing about four feet in height, with the cross carved on it, adjoins the burying-ground. The local tradition is that a priest lived a part of his life on Isle Martin, and died there, and his grave is marked by the stone in question.
James Fraser
420 - 422
The investigation of a group of five 'Norse' burial mounds is reported. A roughly built cist in the largest of the mounds contained nothing but earth, while the second largest mound contained cremated human bone within a steatite urn laid on a bed of charcoal. An examination of two of the smaller mounds disclosed neither cist nor urn, only ashes, fragments of bones, and some bits of round charred wood.
Eric Stair-Kerr
423 - 426
It is traditionally held that Edinburgh Castle was captured from the English in the year before the battle of Bannockburn but it is unclear whether the attack came from the northern or the southern side. Sir Walter Scott believed the ascent was made on the southern side. The author favours the northern side.
Alexander Thoms
426 - 428
The stone used to build the tower differs from that used for the cathedral and has survived in better condition. It is concluded, on the basis of microscopic analysis that the stone used in the building of St Regulus Tower was local and not from Northumberland as has been argued elsewhere.
Thomas H Bryce
C H Desch
436 - 443
The circumstances of discovery of the objects is unknown. They are rare in Scotland and only two other examples are known from a Viking burial mound in the island of Colonsay and one which formed part of a hoard ploughed up at Croy, Inverness-shire. The group consists of a portion of the beam, the indicator, and the pans of a balance, two suspension pieces in the shape of birds, three weights, and a leaden whorl. In construction the balance exactly resembles balances of the Viking period in Norway and Sweden. Metallurgical analysis indicates that the material is bronze coated with tin.
Gilbert Goudie
444 - 450
The armlet was discovered some years ago in the small isle of Oxna, adjacent to the Burra Isles, on the west side of the southern promontory of the Shetland mainland. The armlet of solid gold, is composed of four strands of the metal, finely polished, and interpleated into a continuous circular chain, broadest at the back opposite where the ends meet, and gradually diminishing in girth towards the points, which are joined together by a flattened and elongated lozenge-shaped formation which welds\r\nthem together and makes the circle complete. Comparisons can be drawn with items from Skaill although these are in silver.
J G Callander
450 - 462
The axe, which was found in the vicinity of an earlier discovery of a bronze sword, is a well-preserved example of the socketed and looped variety. The objects are broadly contemporary and could have been deposited together. The stone mould was an isolated find. A very fine button mould with an inscription dated 1659 is described in detail.
D Hay Fleming
463 - 468
A complete recumbent slab with a cross upon it was discovered at the cathedral. It shows no trace of decoration, but there is a semicircular cusp in each of the four angles. For the size of the cross the limbs are very broad. There is no ornamentation of any kind either on the reverse or sides. One corner had been broken off, but is now attached again by copper dowels. The slab had apparently been utilised by the builders of the chancel of the church in the thirteenth century. The lower part of a cross-slab close to the Whyte Melville tomb had been utilised by the builders of the wall in the first quarter of the sixteenth century. The shaft of the cross is plain on the obverse and reverse save for the narrow border lines, but on both there is a rich panel on either side of the shaft. A fragment found in the enclosing wall of the infant school had been part of a Celtic cross slab, having sculptured panels both on the obverse and reverse, but on neither is a complete panel left. One has had an effective angular fret pattern, the other an interlaced pattern, which is much wasted.
George Macdonald
468 - 469
The hoard consisted of thirty-seven pennies. Many of them were much rubbed and worn. A detailed scrutiny revealed wide differences of date. The majority of the Edward pennies were later than the great coinage of 1300. But one belonged to the issue of 1280, while there were three that must have been minted in 1281. On the other hand, two of those from the ecclesiastical mint at Durham bore the mark of Bishop Kellow (1311-1316), the remaining three showing the mark of his predecessor Beck (1283-1310). Nor were the Kellow pieces the latest: a penny of London and one of Canterbury were evidently contemporary with the Durham pennies of Bishop Beaumont (1317-1333). The sterling of Robert de Bethune (1305-1322) had been minted at Alost, being No. 14 in Chautard's Monnaies au type esterlin. On the whole, the most probable date of burial is circa 1320.
Francis C Eeles
470 - 488
Two font basins were found at Cruden. One was a particularly good example of the simple cylindrical type of basin common in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, well cut and of delicate proportions. The second is very like some old fonts of the extremely rude early type and has been modified in recent times. A medieval bell in a belfry at Cruden is inscribed but its meaning cannot be deciphered. A fragment of a sacrament house has a carving of probable late fifteenth or early sixteenth date. A carved stone in the churchyard has the inscription "fear God". The remains of the church of St Fergus are described, in particular the arched gateway, a re-used font fragment and a small carved cross.
489 - 506