C.10 Source records#
This section of the. manual will look at the information recorded in source records in more detail.
C.10.1 Core data standards for sources#
The minimum information recommended for source records is:
- PRN: a number that uniquely identifies the source record in the HER
- Title: a descriptive name by which the source may be identified
- Archive type: an index to the type of source material, for example bibliographic, photograph
- Originator: the body or person responsible for originating the material, for example the author
- Date: the date when the source was produced
- Repository: index to organisations holding original archives or copies of secondary sources
- External reference: the reference number by which the source can be identified in the repository.
C.10.2 A typical source record#
Figure 17 shows how a bibliographical source may be recorded in an HER database. Neolithic Settlement of the Thames Basin (Holgate 1988) is a BAR report and is typical of many publications that form part of a larger series.
- Computer-generated number: RC 103954, uniquely identifies the source record.
- Title of the volume: Neolithic settlement of the Thames Basin recorded in the title field and the BAR number recorded in the Part No. field allow the volume to be identified both in the HER's library and on listings.
- References: can be used to record any numbers identifying the volume used by external bodies, in this case the ISBN number has been recorded. This is useful because it helps users to identify the volume in other libraries.
- Monuments: links have been created to monument records referenced in this source. The Specific Reference field allows the pages within the report which refer to a particular monument to be recorded.
Figure 17: A typical source recorded in exeGesIS SDM Ltd’s HBSMR software (English Heritage and exeGeSIS SDM Ltd 2007).
Figure 18 shows how a collection level source may be recorded in an HER database.
This record is for the excavation archives of the Cirencester Excavation Committee, and as such has quite generic details entered.
Figure 18: A collection level source recorded in Gloucestershire's HER software.(Gloucestershire County Council 2015).