Choosing file formats
Format is a fundamental characteristic of a digital file that governs its ability to be used effectively. When choosing file formats you should consider if they are:
- Suitable to record your data,
- Stable, not under constant revision,
- Supported on various hardware,
- Supported by various operating systems (Windows/Macintosh/Unix/Linux),
- Supported by comprehensive public documentation,
- Ideally free of legal restriction in its use,
- Popular, these formats are more likely to remain supported,
- Accepted by your chosen long-term repository.
The ADS is able to accept most major file formats. Refer to the ADS Instructions for Depositors for our list of accepted file formats.