Data management for archaeological archives
Chartered Institute for Archaeologists CPD workshop
(27 April 2018)
Digital technologies have transformed the archaeological profession. Through presentations, group discussion and practical activities this workshop will explore the importance of data management and digital preservation for the long term safety of archaeological data and provide practical guidance on how to prepare, curate, and deposit data. The workshop will begin with an introduction to data management and digital preservation for archaeology. Following this, participants will take part in a practical metadata identification activity which will encourage participants to think critically about how they create and manage their own archaeological data. The workshop will then outline current guidelines for data management and archiving, and provide advice on how to prepare and curate data to existing professional standards. The workshop will culminate with participants reflecting on the information gathered through the session to create a Data Management Plan (DMP) that will work for their own data management needs.
By the end of the course participants will be expected to:
- Understand the importance of good data management practices.
- Understand the importance of digital preservation for the long term safety of archaeological data.
- Understand the principles of best practice in data management.
- Have a working knowledge of current data management guidance and standards for archaeology.
- Understand the application of digital preservation and data management for their own work.
- Be able to prepare data management plans.
National occupational standards
- AE2 Develop procedures for the use of information resources.
- AE3 Classify, compile and maintain data on the material remains and intangible heritage of past communities.
- CCSAPAA1 Develop policies and guidance for archaeology
|9:30||Introduction, Katie Green|
|9:40||Importance of good data management and digital preservation for archaeology, Katie Green|
|10:30||Current Guidelines and Professional Standards, Tim Evans|
|11:00||Coffee and Tea|
|11:30||Archaeological Digital Archiving Protocol, Claire Tsang|
|12:00||Data Management Planning Activity|
|12:30||Review of Data Management Plans and Discussion|
Blank Data Management Plan
The Digital Curation Center’s Online Management Plan.
The Digital Curation Center’s Management Plan Check List
Metadata and data formats
The ADS Metadata Requirements
Heritage Data Vocabularies.
Historic Environment Scotland Guidelines for Archiving Archaeological Projects including Recommended File Formats.
The Digital Curation Center’s Selection and Retention Guidelines
Coming Soon CIFA Archives Group Selection Toolkit for Archaeological Archives.
Archaeological archive standards and guidelines
ARCHES Archaeological Resources in Cultural Heritage a European Standard website
Archaeological Archives: A guide to best practice in creation, compilation, transfer and curation